Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Ok guys. I just upgraded my brakes. I've got slotted and drilled rotors, and Mintek pads all around. They feel great during normal breaking, but the other day I had to nail them pretty damn hard to avoid some moron that cut me off on the highway. When I did this the ass end felt like it wanted to become the front. I was pretty shocked and almost pulled over to take a breather because it actually scared me a little. The road was completly dry, and I was holding the wheel dead straight because I hadn't felt the need to swerve. I believe that if I had tried to swerve I would have certainly spun out.

Any ideas about what might be causing this.

Oh, I also have 4 spankin new BFG G-Force tires as of last week.

98 Contour SVT (soon to be reborn) 2000 GMC Envoy... Screw you guys, I like it. 89' Mustang 5.0 (Just bolt on's... for now)
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
What entails upgrading breaks. I assume you meant better pads or maybe larger front rotors. I am assuming you didn't put larger rotors on the rear or go from drums to disk on the rear. Now that that is out of the way, I would try it again somewhere it is safe. The episode could have been a fluke. Maybe there was something on the roadway that you were not aware of. Investigate farther.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Maybe those new tires are fronts/rears and you put them in the wrong place? (the two front tires are in the rear.... vice versa...)

I actually agree that it may have been a fluke. unless the rear swaybar is out that would cause it to feel "swappy".. but also NOT normal when driving.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
My G-Force Sports were super grabby. Maybe the rear end lifted off the ground!

OK, maybe not.

You may need to let the brakes settle in a bit. You said they were new, but didn't mention how recently the rotors/pads were installed. I also read in a recent post that the brake system is set up in a dual-diagonal configuration - great idea, actually. If pressures in the system aren't quite balanced things may feel a bit squirrel-y under hard braking. Be a great time to fully bleed the system and get totally fresh fluid in there ... I bet that'll help tons.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
My G-Force Sports were super grabby. Maybe the rear end lifted off the ground!

OK, maybe not.

You may need to let the brakes settle in a bit. You said they were new, but didn't mention how recently the rotors/pads were installed. I also read in a recent post that the brake system is set up in a dual-diagonal configuration - great idea, actually. If pressures in the system aren't quite balanced things may feel a bit squirrel-y under hard braking. Be a great time to fully bleed the system and get totally fresh fluid in there ... I bet that'll help tons.

That sounds like the most feezabe solution. I havent blead the brakes in almost a year.

THANKS!

98 Contour SVT (soon to be reborn) 2000 GMC Envoy... Screw you guys, I like it. 89' Mustang 5.0 (Just bolt on's... for now)
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Ok, so last night I went out to test my brakes. I tried to recreate the situation I faced on the highway. Except this time I did it in a big ass parking lot. I nailed it up to 70 then mashed the breaks several times and NOTHING! It stopped beautifully. My friend even commented on how well the new breaks plastered him to the windshield because he had forgotten to fasten his seat belt.

Oh well, mabey there was something on the roadway that I wasn't aware of.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
If you were not loading the tires with turning forces, the only thing to make the rear come around is lack of traction back there, or too much brake bias to the rear. It's possible things weren't bedded right and one of the rears gripped harder than the fronts, but I like the idea from above. If one right and one left were weak, then the car would be a little unstable from the uneven braking across the front. If it's fine now, just bleed and keep an eye on it.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard