Print Thread
R
ronp Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Hi all,
Well I did it, I picked up the 99 SVT I mentioned a few weeks ago. So far everything is okay except 2 things.1) When starting from a stop or nearly stopped in 1st and 2nd gear I am hearing a metallic rattle when the clutch engages. The clutch and tranny feel fine nothing unusual in the engagement or performance, just this annoying rattle and not every time either. It almost sounds like a heat shield or something like that. Actually, while stopped and in neutral, if I push the clutch pedal in and out I can hear the sound on the releasing of the pedal but it is much softer and of much shorter duration. Can anyone help me out before I bring it to the dealer? The second problem is the sunroof, moves about a half inch and that's it. The sunroof doesn't worry me much but any help on the rattle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I've had the same exact problem in the three years I've had my car. I mentioned it here a while back, and someone suggested it might be the throwout bearing. It doesn't get better or worse, and it doesn't seem to affect the clutch's operation, so I just live with it. To paraphrase Rocky IV: If it dies, it dies.

I also read something in one of those "ask the mechanic columns" in a newspaper or magazine or something where someone said the MTX-75 can make some funny noises or something, and Ford said it was just fine.

Old car: '98 SVT T-Red K&N air filter; Ford Focus RS shift knob. Off to be auctioned off somewhere. New car: 2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan, 5-speed.
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
clutch chatter, look it up

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Re: sunroof
common problem.
extreme heat from the roof heats up a metal spiral gear that is mated to a plastic gear melting said plastic gear to a smooth finish, causing no spin. Replacement options WERE limited to a new sunroof motor unit (VERY EXPENSIVE ...multiple hundreds... ) but there is a guy making metal replacement gears and is nearing the molding completion phase.

search up on sunroof gears and "odometer gears ltd" (the company making them)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Mine has done this for many many years now. Never caused me any problems though other than being annoying.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard