Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I am in the middle of replacing the transmission and have come to part where I drop the subframe. One of the bolts holding the subframe (back passenger side) is just spinning but not dropping out. The other three bolts came out as expected. The one bolt was a bit harder to break free, but not hugely so. (Maybe 25% more torque to release.)The subframe has dropped in all the other corners, but is still in place in that corner. (The front and rear engine/trans mounts are also unbolted.)

I can only think of two things that would cause the effect:

1. The bolt or nut stripped out, or
2. The weld holding the bolt to the frame has broken, and nut and bolt are spinning together.

Neither sounds encouraging. I'm not inclined to think the bolt stripped, it's marked 8.8 in the head. I would think the nut is just as strong.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this happen?

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I think you know what must be done, but don't want to admit it. You need to find a way to get above to hold the nut so it doesn't spin.

Here are a couple more options though. Neither of which are very good. If it is a stripped but or bolt, sometimes you can get enough of a bite on the threads if you can somehow pry sown on the bolt (instead of pushing up). If the bolt hasn't already started to loosen, there is probably no eay to do this. The other is to cust the head of the bolt off and deal with it when you get the subframe down out of the way. Of course, you will need a new bolt as well as any reapair needed to the nut end.

Any other ideas?

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Jim, thanks for the reply.

Quote:

I think you know what must be done, but don't want to admit it.

Well, yes, but also hoping for a miracle.....

Quote:

You need to find a way to get above to hold the nut so it doesn't spin.

The challenge I'm having is that the nut is inside a boxed up area. It appears that Ford welds the nut in place, then welds the box to the frame. The are small holes in the box, but I couldn't reach in far enough to feel the bolt head to see if it was moving.

Quote:

If it is a stripped but or bolt, sometimes you can get enough of a bite on the threads if you can somehow pry down on the bolt (instead of pushing up). If the bolt hasn't already started to loosen, there is probably no easy to do this.

This will be my next try. It looks like it loosened up about 4-5mm. I think I can get a large screwdriver or even the pickle fork in there while spinning the bolt.

I'm open to any ideas....

Richard

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
are you using an air gun?
I had the same problem, but when i used an air gun, the quickness and torque made it catch and bamm it came off. did the same thing when i was putting it back on. The nut is not welded in there becuase it supposed to move around freely so you can adjust the subframe.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Dubkatz, thanks for reply. It helps knowing that it's a normal event, not something broken.

Quote:

are you using an air gun?

Sort of....

I picked up a CHEAP set of air tools at Harbor Freight. (less than $20 each for 3/8 air ratchet and 1/2 impact wrench) The ratchet works fine, but impact wrench doesn't want to work when facing up. It quickly just starts venting the air out the trigger.
I guess you get what you pay for, but right now I'm on a tight budget.

Maybe if I lever it down as Big Jim suggested, and hit with the ratchet I might get some luck.

Richard

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I had the same problem and found the answer to getting the bolt out. Lift your passanger side carpet and insulation under the carpet, there is a grill in the floor that you cut out with a pair of tin snips that allows access to the nut on the top...the nut is in a cage and often is rusted and just spins in the cage. I cut off both sides on mine and just installed new grade 8 bolts and nuts. Then just get yourself a small piece of metal and use some 1/8 stainless pop rivits to cover the grill you removed to access the bolt.

R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Taasman, thanks for the tip.

Quote:

Lift your passanger side carpet...

I'm on my way back out to the garage. If I can't get the bolt to behave by prying, etc, that I'll see what it looks like from the top.

Richard

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Do you know anyone that has a gun(that works)
You might even be able to borrow one from a pepboys/autozone. They lend out every other tool under the sun.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard