Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well Im glad you have it all figured out. Now if you could just convince those millions of Christians and Catholics around the world that you are the one person that has it all figured out.

Explain away all you want about how Christianity is built on lies. To be as very basic as possible. If I'm wrong I die and go nowhere. If you are wrong, you die and go to hell. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

- Tim
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
Originally posted by neelnug:
Just a simple question. When did sex become evil, wrong, secretive, terrible, etc etc etc. Why is everyone intent on shielding young people from it? Why does the church make it sacred and evil if committed (yea like a crime) before marriage?

Three things: George W Bush

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S

Cameron 98 Black CSVT #2958
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Sex when performed between a husband and wife, for enjoyment or procreation is not wrong.

The idea that sex should only be used for procreation and even so it is still a sin originated in the 14th century, at the same time as the introduction of the term "fornication." FYI this is also when the term "sodomy" (sp?), and a few other like terms originated as well. At the time priest were even permitted to marry and have families, and believe it or not alter-boys were used for the purpose that priests are currently being sued for (remember the Roman-Catholic Church had definate Roman influences in it), but when Pope Something-or-Other came to power he changed Church law to reflect his own disgust with the topic of sex; Priests were no longer allowed to marry, sex begame "taboo" and a sin, the term "sodomy" with the definition of sexual immoralities originated, even the idea that Sodom was destroyed for these sexual practices, instead of the then traditional teaching that Sodom's destruction stemmed from the Sodomites rejection of God's laws and the pride to assert their own authority, got shoved by the way-side to further the anti-sex campain of one pope and his minions.

Premaritial Sex is traditionally a sin, BECAUSE of the origional definition of Adultery. Adultery = sex with anyone to which you are not married. Futhermore, masturbation is commonly concidered a sin due to the incidence rate with which doing so is directly connected to lust. Lust = "dirty" thoughts. According to Christ, even thinking a "dirty" thought about a memeber of the opposite sex is adultery. However, the history of Biblical translation shows that personal biases influence the nature of a translation, and concidering the history of the Church, especially a small number of popes, for manipulating information to suit their causes, much of what we know may be inaccurate, but it may be perfectly accurate too, we do not know.

FYI. The bible was assembled by the Council of Niccea, under commission of Constantine. The 4 gospels are believed to have been choosen for their consistency with each other and that each one directly regards Jesus Christ as God incarnate, this fact was decided upon by a VERY close vote by the members of the council. Historical records suggest that their may be as many as 150 unused gospels, one that may have even been written by Mary the mother, kinda makes you wonder if they exist and what is in them if they do, huh?

There are 15 Hebrew words that were only translated as "love" into English; 17 that translated simply to "death." Tell me how ANY English translation can be truthfully accurate. The idea and the message, The WORD, as it may be, is all that really matters.

Christ is the way, the truth and the light. Keep him in your heart and try your best, that is what God asks of you.

BTW, I am a practicing Roman Catholic, I am 24 and I am a Virgin, 100% by choice, and not always an easy choice either. I would like to be able to say that I am always pure in thought, but that would be a lie. Furthermore, as you may guess, I do not take everything the Church says as word, I have explored the teachings of other Christian Denominations, but at the end of the day I am still Catholic, since many of the cole beliefs are closer to that which I feel underlie the teachings of Christ and the Bible.

87 Mustang GT 5.0L TURBO
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Three things: George W Bush

I was wondering when the specter of blistering ignorance and semi-evolved thought would show up in this thread...

I'm all for spirited debate, but what in the Hell does your above comment even come close to referencing?

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Interesting. I'll have to look further into Tacitus and the argument you are presenting here, as he was fairly anti-Christian in addition to being very specific and thorough on his works from what I've read. He's really the only one I'm familiar with to a solid level.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
More food for thought:

Buddha taught as one of the four eternal truths that "life is suffering". But it is through that suffering that we grow and develop. We escape the traditions and dogma of our parents and their parents by virtue of that growth. It is through this process that we create our own unique and new spirituality and personal religion.

The real answers to life do not come from a pulpit or from between two blue book covers. We are all born originals, unfortunately too many of us die copies. We usually conform to the path of least resistance. If we are truly wise (and none of us are) we will welcome problems and work for the solution and in the process we will become more than we were. Most of us spend most of our time just avoiding the problems.

It is the nature of most people to decide the truth of all things at a very young age. From then on life becomes a struggle to support and strengthen those "truths". The paradigm must be preserved at all cost. Supporting evidence is exaggerated, detracting evidence is belittled, discounted or ignored. It is painful to shift a paradigm, it causes personal discomfort, even suffering to redraw the map that guides our lives. It is even harder to disappoint those we love should they choose to not go with us on that journey of personal and painful growth.

It is a shattering and devastating event to alter core beliefs. For many of us Christianity was not just a way of life, but a set of core defining values taught to us from our earliest memories. We have fought for those beliefs, sacrificed greatly of our time, talents and money. We've put our families, our own children, second as we devoted our all to the building up of a fantasy, we've followed leaders with all of our conviction, to find out they don't really speak for deity, in fact they lie in the name of Jesus Christ.

Now a choice of integrity vs. personal comfort must be made. The Church or Christ together with it's doctrine, dogma and origins are exposed as fraudulent, modified and untrue. It's hard to believe at first, and even harder to accept. As the clandestine search for truth begins the searcher is skeptical. Heretical thoughts are dismissed at first, then apologized for later. We do what we can to protect our paradigm, our life map, our personal definition of how we see the world. Then the evidence becomes overwhelming, factual and without need of interpretation. Things are what they are. A choice is made. Some bury their new knowledge in a panic and return to their life as usual. They reject the invitation to personal growth and pain. They follow the path of least resistance and the search for truth is over, buried, never to be reexamined. Others, dedicated to personal integrity and truth also must make a choice. Do they make their new knowledge known, do they keep it to themselves, how will they alter their lives? How will they alter the lives of those they love? These are personal and deeply difficult choices. There is no right pattern, we must not look to others for answers. We must search deep inside ourselves, weigh all consequences, then decide on a course of action that balances wisdom, pain, and integrity.

Common is the person who faced with that evidence will dismiss it. It is just too hard to face. Common is the person who will scorn, blame, ridicule and deride the truth. The truth to that person is an inconvenience. He or she would rather go on in his or her fantasy than face the hardship of truth. Anyone who would discount that hardship only need read the stories of those that have traveled that road.

Rare is the person who will look that monster in the face and say "I will change my life, my paradigm, my life map". "I'll admit I was wrong all those years and I'll face the consequences of those that will scorn and ridicule
me". Rare is that person.

stock 1998 silver frost SVT E0 #1545 out of 6535 * K&N drop-in air filter * DMD * Koni's w/ stock springs * Autolite double platinum * Tranny cocktail * Mobil 1 Snyth Oil @ 60K miles
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Wow, your stuff is old.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Viss1:
Originally posted by holycowSVTpaul:
my standard now is to believe in an intellect-based faith, not a faith-based intellect.

Best quote I've seen in a long time.

Sorry, faith is believing in something you cannot see. Not seeing something you cannot believe. So I can't understand how you have any faith either way.

- Tim
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Corbett:
Sorry, faith is believing in something you cannot see.

Pretty much everyone believes in things they can't see. For example, those who believe in evolution are believing in no more certain truth than those who believe in Creationism. People will ask you 'Can you see God?', and if they're trying to make a point, you can ask them if they can see evolution. And obviously, they can't. They may see the evidence of it, but their evidence is no more proof of their theory than the evidence that is scripture and faith in God. In other words, some people believe in a god of science, some in God.

Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard