Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I do have one question I tried my air conditioning yesterday and the clutch did not engage. All I got was warm air. How do I go about to have the 2 relays checked to see if they are ok before I take it to the stealear ship? I am in Ottawa Thx guys . I called crappy tire and they wanted anywhere from $40.00 to $79.00 just to check it. GOD knows how much a new one costs!!!!!!!!!!

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The first thing you need to check is your pressure in the system, if its to low the compressor will not engage. It that case, you have a leak...and just to test for the leak will cost you a fair bit, then depending on whats leaking it could easily skyrocket.

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
if i buy a canister to recharge the system by myself can you overcharge it or it will tell you its full?

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I tried to purchase a R-134a refill kit (Tried: Canadian Tire, Jarry Auto Parts, Probec, ad nauseum in Montreal), however, apparently retailing a R-134a do it yourself refill kit to the general public is illegal in Canada. I was told that it is imperative that a 'professional' perform the work.

Corrupt Canadian politicians can steal from public funds and get away with it even after getting caught but I can't buy a friggin can of R-134a as per these same dictators.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
If you want, I can buy one for you and ship it to you. They're only likee $20-$25 for the whole set, or just aroudn $10-$15 for only the can. USD, though, not sure what that makes in CSD...

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
First to all, an explanation. I really do think there is a reason Canada doesn't allow it. Nobody in US should be doing it without knowing what they are doing. Some things you can figure out as you go, but A/C can be a bit dangerous if you aren't careful. Other than danger, it's easy to mess up your system and the damage gets very expensive to repair. Overcharge is easy on automotive a/c and there isn't a set pressure. Pressures will always be different depending on the conditions.

You need to get a set of gauges and see what the static pressure is. If it's below 20-30 or wherever the low cut-out pressure is, then you have a leak. If it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 or so, then the pressure switch should be made. The first thing I would do is jumper the pressure switch and see if the compressor starts. If it does, then you need to hook gauges up to see what the pressure is. It could either be low pressure like above or a bad switch. There are other possibilities too, but see if jumping out this low pressure switch works first. Not sure where it is on my contour as I've nver had to look for it. It's going to be on the bigger line (suction/low side line) coming back from the dash going to the accumulator (little black tank on side of condensor/radiator down low). I don't remember seeing it on the line coming out of the accumulator to the compressor, but it will be somewhere in there.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard