Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
What's involved in this? Mine is leaking. 1996 Ford Contour V6. Oil all over crankshaft damper. It's a dual-mode damper, and oil seal was supposedly replaced at the same time. That was a year and a half ago...it was leaking then, I thought the leak had stopped, and now it's leaking again.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Remove the drive belt;
Remove the crankshaft pulley;
Remove the seal;
Reinstall.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I'd like to know specifically how the damper and oil seal are removed and replaced and what tools are needed.

By the way, you forgot to mention that the front wheel and the plastic liner have to be removed too.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
brianl703:
I'd like to know specifically how the damper and oil seal are removed and replaced and what tools are needed.

By the way, you forgot to mention that the front wheel and the plastic liner have to be removed too.

1-Remove the wheel (front right)
2-Remove the splash shield
3-Remove drive belt
4-Remove crankshaft pulley retaining bolt and washer from crankshaft
5-Using Crankshaft Damper Remover T58P-6316-D, remove crankshaft pulley from crankshaft (that is the tool number from Ford)
6-Using Seal Remover T92C-6700-CH, remove crankshaft front seal from engine front cover
7-Lubricate crankshaft front oil seal sealing surfaces with Engine Assembly Lubricant D9AZ-19579-D or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M99C80-A
8-Using Front Crankshaft Seal Replacer T88T-6701-A, install the new seal
9-Using Crankshaft Damper Replacer T74P-6316-B, install crankshaft pulley to cranshaft
Apply Black Silicone Rubber F4AZ-19562-B or equivalent to the front of the crankshaft on the inside diameter surface of the crankshaft pulley at keyway
10-Install crankshaft pulley retainer bolt and washer. Tighten retaining bolt as follows:
* Tighten retaining bolt to 120 Nm (89 lb-ft).
* Loosen retaining bolt a minimum of one full turn.
* Tighten retaining bolt to 47-53 Nm (35-39 lb-ft).
* Rotate retaining bolt an additional 85-95 degrees.
11- Reinstall splash shield and wheel.

Good luck,

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Don't forget that you need to keep the crankshaft from moving while you are loosening or tightening the damper bolt.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Couple of items.

1. Crank bolt iss TTY and should be replaced.
2. Use standard 3 finger damper puller from Autozone will work.
3. Stadard seal puller with hook will work to pull seal. Just be careful of crank snout.
4. Take new seal and match up a piece of pvc pipe that is same diameter of seal. coat seal on outer edge with grease and lightly tap in with piece of pvc pipe and small block of wood.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
black rtv silicone is very slick when wet and will work like a grease. Plus it has the added benefit of curing and helping to seal.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I'd be careful with it, too much and pieces break off and begin to gather around the oil pump pickup screen.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!

Link Copied to Clipboard