Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Defintely sounds like not only are the struts completely shot but you may have torn rear bar brackets.

The bar bushings front and rear are likely shot as well. That would worsen the transitioning of the car.

Like I said. Someone drove the hell out of it before you got it. Then sold it before changing any of the worn out parts.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
That's funny - you say the struts "look" great - what, you have x-ray vision or something? I could polish up a set of blown struts to look awesome - doesn't mwan they're worth a damn.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It somewhat depends on how you define handling.

My son's 95 stick shift Zetec with it's lighter wieght and smaller tires was a bit more "tossable" through the turns than my SVT as long as the speeds were down. The SVT has a much higher limit and most definitely outhandles his car when driving hard.

His is also fun to drive, but in a very different way.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
im on stock svt suspension still. it does not have any of the qualities that yours has. what you describe is worn out suspension parts.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Look at the tire quality. Tires are half the handling equation anyway. ARe the tires new and/or good quality on one car and not the other?

Also, the struts can look perfect but not have the proper damping effect. Get a BAT euro kit or replace your SVT struts. The mystique won't even be in the same ball park afterwards.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Defintely sounds like not only are the struts completely shot but you may have torn rear bar brackets.

The bar bushings front and rear are likely shot as well. That would worsen the transitioning of the car.

Like I said. Someone drove the hell out of it before you got it. Then sold it before changing any of the worn out parts.

Good Call! That would make it feel like a buick in a heartbeat!

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by DJ 59Y:
understood.....but that just it when i say it rides fine thats what i mean.....no bounce....no land yatch feeling...ust crusing sround it feels nice.....get on it through some twisties and it's ok....for crusing through them....but push it and it handles liek crap...it's hard to describe....

I tried to resist, but can't.
From reading this it sounds like you have a front wheel drive car. It will take lots of $ and work to make it handle well at the limit.

But seriously, the bushing replacement is a good start, not terribly expensive, and just good maintenance besides.

(Edited to add something constructive.)

Last edited by Tavis426; 05/30/05 07:51 AM.

'99 SVT Contour #535/2760, born 11/30/98. Toreador Red / Prairie Tan Wife's car: '00 Saturn LS2. Dk. Toreador Red (no joke) / Graphite Sunday Bruiser: '67 Camaro rs/SS350 4 spd. Ermine White / Custom Yellow
D
DJ 59Y Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
ok so heres the deal....

got an alinment and rotation today....also had plenty of time to hang out under the car while it was on the rack...

front bushings are new...*i know because they were replaced when i bought the car*....the rear are shot....my guy at my shop said the strus looked/felt ok and didn't think there was a problem with them.....the rest of the bushings looked good....

my guy re did my alignment and played with it abit and that acctualy made a huge difference....apperently when i had the alignment done before i drove it home after buying it they didn't realy do all that great of a job...

as for tires yeh they are cheap crap...i told the shop i bought it from that they had to put new tires on it if i bought it....cause at that time there were 3 different kinds of tires on it...so of corse they put cheap one s on..

new but have owned.... 1 98 mystique=totaled 1 99 mystique=Sold 1 99 mystique-made my G/f buy it cause i wanted my car back currently sporting a 2000 CSVT and a yamaha R6
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard