Print Thread
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
looking for anyone that has taken the permit test or knows anything about it

im planning on going to take it on my day off this week and want to know if theres anything i should read up on before doing so, i know the car permit test was easy as cake without reading anything, but id rather not fail and waste my $30 just because theres a couple bike-related things i could have studied.

i remember theres a good amount of guys on here planning to get the bike license, for those who havent taken the permit test ill fill ya in once i get it.

and for those that didnt know, you can ride on your permit solo(well only alone) just not after dark or midnight, im not sure.

my mom's got a honda 500cc that im planning on starting out on, ive only had the opportunity to get a feel of shifting into first, and the weight of the bike in my driveway, hopefully soon enough ill be able to comment on how fun it is to ride

-Snipey

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i'm forking up the money this summer to take the license course. it's about $250, but includes everything and is good for absolute beginners like myself. plus, you get a discount on your insurance.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
yea im planning on doing that weekend course once after a little while of driving on the permit (you need the permit to take the course anyways)

i just wanna know if theres anythin to look out for on the damn permit test hehe i think ima give it a try wednesday anyways, wish me luck

i really cant wait to get on the road with a bike

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
when i took my permit test (about 6 years ago) all i had to do was take an electronic test.
they showed some pics and asked some questions.
you had to get 10 out of 15 right, i got the first 10 right.
alot of it was common sense.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I would highly suggest taking the MSF basic course, you show up with your permit, pay attention for 2 days, and leave ready to get your MC license. If you pre-pay and have no issues, e.g. old tickets to pay, they just mail you your new license in the mail with the "M" endorsement.

I will stress that the MSF class teaches you basic bike handling skills in a very low speed, controlled enviornment. It teaches you basic theory on traffic & accident avoidance, but that's about all there. You do not leave that course qualified to get on the road and start riding wherever, you leave qualified to ride in a parking lot, practice some more, and then venture out onto the streets.

Also I would highly suggest the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, it's a great read and something to keep you busy while waiting for the MSF class. Don't forget quality gear too, helmet, gloves, armored jacket, boots, pants.

Good luck!

btw just thought I'd check in and see how CEG was doing...long time no visit!

Andrew ----- 04 Toyota Tacoma (All work) 03 Suzuki SV650 (and some play) 87 Chrysler 5th Aveune (makes a happy pimp) ----- Former owner: 99 SVT
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i'm going to try to go in for my permit tomorrow or friday. i heard it's a breeze.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
It is a breeze, they basically ask you the most retarded questions like "if you are high on drugs should you drive" and you get them right, and you're free and clear to buy a 200HP motorcycle

Andrew ----- 04 Toyota Tacoma (All work) 03 Suzuki SV650 (and some play) 87 Chrysler 5th Aveune (makes a happy pimp) ----- Former owner: 99 SVT
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
got mine on Friday! only 1 motorcycle question. something about helmets. i picked the one answer with "DOT" in it.

now...to sign up for the training classes....

S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
id like to know where you're takin the class..

sadly i wont be riding until my 90 day mark at my current job (once the health insurance/other benefits kick in) but id love to hear a recommendation and start planning it out, should only be a month or so now.

thanks

-SNipey

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i've talked to the folks in Acton and they seem nice, but i haven't decided which yet. it depends on availability.

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard