Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1286475 05/24/05 06:43 PM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
A couple of questions I need some help on...
It looks like my starter is on its way out. A few times recently when I go to start the car I get the high pitched spinning sound of the starter motor without any response from the engine. How much does a starter motor cost and is the replacement a DIY job?

Also another interesting thing that I noticed only recently and someone from Wheel & Tire Zone commented on as well.. it seems as though my car is sitting lower on the passanger side than on the driver side (by about 3/4 of an inch). Could this be a spring perch? I looked at the springs when i had the car jacked up and they looked fine. any thoughts? Any idea on what spring perches cost? Do you use the same ones even in a car with Konis and Eibachs?

Any help would be great.

thx

Fern

1999 SVT Contour Silver Frost Bassani,Ground Controls Street..17x7 Rage 5.0/Falken Azenis Sport 225/45/ZR17 Track...Kosei K-1 17x7.5 Avon Tech Ra 225/45/17/ Quaife/ SPEC Stage III/ Fidanza /Capaldi Racing 4.5 final drive/TCE Brake Kit 13"
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by SVTFern:
A couple of questions I need some help on...
It looks like my starter is on its way out. A few times recently when I go to start the car I get the high pitched spinning sound of the starter motor without any response from the engine. How much does a starter motor cost and is the replacement a DIY job?

Also another interesting thing that I noticed only recently and someone from Wheel & Tire Zone commented on as well.. it seems as though my car is sitting lower on the passanger side than on the driver side (by about 3/4 of an inch). Could this be a spring perch? I looked at the springs when i had the car jacked up and they looked fine. any thoughts? Any idea on what spring perches cost? Do you use the same ones even in a car with Konis and Eibachs?

Any help would be great.

thx

Fern

Fern

Starter, usually around $300.00, rebuilts usually only available now, not a DIY job, unless you're up to the task.

About the suspension height, sounds like you may have a sagging spring or springs. Hmmm, lots of left hand turns at the race track????

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I've been getting the high piched scream out of the starter for 5 years now!.

It usually happens for one turn cycle of the key, then it starts no problem the 2nd time.
Ford said wait until it won't start at all. We've no idea if it's the starter or the fly wheel.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Oh, oh. I had the same problem, 1 rebuilt starter later and I find out it was my fly wheel. I really hope that this isn't your problem as it is a HUGE and very Expensive job..
Starter change isn't bad if you are somewhat inclined..

1999 Mystique Sport 2nd owner bought it in Sept 03
120000km 4 door, leather, loaded pics on cardomain, coatsy
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SVTFern:

Any help would be great.

thx

Fern

Fern, for me a starter is nothing now. I'm not sure how easy it tis to get it out from the top with the trans in but it should be a DIY job.

Now about the car sitting lower in one corner my guess would be a toasted upper strut mount. Take a pic of both mounts and email it to me and I should be able to tell.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Wow a lot to consider. How can I tell if it is the flywheel as opposed to the starter? BTW I have a fidanza flywheel.

AS for the strut mount Evan what would i take a pic of? Is it in the front suspension or the rear? and BTW as I changed over from my race setup that I had on for the past two weekends I found that the jack fit exactly the same under both sides of the car?!?!?!So no difference in height???
WTF did it take a few high G turns at the SVTOA event in order to twist the body back into shape????

I am at a bit of a loss here....

Fern

1999 SVT Contour Silver Frost Bassani,Ground Controls Street..17x7 Rage 5.0/Falken Azenis Sport 225/45/ZR17 Track...Kosei K-1 17x7.5 Avon Tech Ra 225/45/17/ Quaife/ SPEC Stage III/ Fidanza /Capaldi Racing 4.5 final drive/TCE Brake Kit 13"
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Would a worn strut mount cause a slight clunking sound when you go over a bump? Do you have anything like that? I do and I have looked at everything else in the front end and it is all fine this is my next thought? Any thoughts anyone?

Cars gotta love them but gotta hate them too sometimes.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca
M
I am Canuckian
I am Canuckian
M
That would make good sense Laura. I too have a clunking and am starting to think that may be my problem.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
No unusual sounds from the suspension (knocks on wood...)
The starter / flywheel thing is starting to worry me though... I hope it is the starter and not the flywheel...

Thx and if anyone knows what the symptoms of a flywheel issue vs a starter issue sounds like please chime in.

Thx again

Fern

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by mbb41:
That would make good sense Laura. I too have a clunking and am starting to think that may be my problem.

Clunking is usually attributed to the sway bar stabalizer links. I replaced them in my wife's car last week and clunking has gone away. Also the new links are an updated design.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard