Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
I am taking the battery out of my wifes car (Contour as well) and testing it.

Thanks again guys.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
My brothers '99 V6 5-speed Cougar did the exact same thing to him after he got it...turned out the wires to the battery were bad...they replaced the positive terminal and it ran fine. Always check cheap things first IMO.

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I must have posted this a dozen times. Never disconnect the battery terminal with the car running to test the alternator. An unregulated alternator can output upwards of around 60 volts at idle without the battery in the circuit.

Have your charging system tested by a tech with the correct equipment; it could be a bad mega fuse or a bad connection. Don�t toss the alt until you are sure!

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
he's right , it could be the " mega fuse " which is buried behind the ignition coil pack on the V6. I just changed mine about two months ago. I had the same symptoms as yours did but my engine ran alot longer since i had recently replaced the battery. i believe that the fuse cost me about fifteen bucks, and i think it was a 175 amp fuse. I made the mistake of just changing the alt again since it was the third one i changed ( in seven years ) since i have owned the car now. You know that ASS-out of-U-ME syndrome?? Check your battery anyway, it too could be at the end of its' life. The alternator can be removed without taking the y-pipe off (even though it makes it easier) just the tie rod end needs to be popped off and pushed out of the way. Check out Ray's info.

95SE tour MTX Silver/champagne custom dual side exhaust 16" ALT180's Wrapped in BFG COMP TA's 215/50 VR4 16.0 @ 91mph before wheels and exhaust mods.
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
An update.
It is the long weekend here. Dealer quoted $385 for ALT and $260 for labor plus tax.

Canadian tire quoted $219 for ALT and $230 for labor. They were open Sunday so I dropped the car off.

They called back and said they did not want to touch the exaust and this was a dealer specific item. They did not charge for diagnostic.

I had charged up the battery the night before, so I had enough juice to take her home. Spent this morning looking her over, checked the mega-fuse, it was OK. So I looked at Ray's how-to and assesed the job, I owe it to you guys to do it my self. I am a couple extentions short, weill pick those up first.

It there a difference to the Ford Alternators compared to aftermarket?

Does the new ALT come with the regulator as well?

Thanks again.

Last edited by jborge; 05/24/05 01:23 AM.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard