Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Ok, luckily I own a contour to compare with so I know the wind noise the mysqiue has is not normal. My mystique has soo much wind noise at the windshield area it's driving me crazy. THe windshiled is not orginal ( it's Pelkington) but it seems to be installed well and I see no gaps around or under. The wind noise is not from a small hole or leak because its all around the windshield if you try to listen to it. Simply said it sounds like you're doing 100 when you're only doing a 50 or 60, compared to the contour. the windshield noise in the mystique is like it would be in the contour if it went ( the contour) at twice the speed or with major winds against u. Any clues? I searched a ton and could not come with any results. and no its not my wipers. I tried I also taped all aroun the windshield/plastic trim and no difference. Could it be that the glass is thinner? Thanks for any comments.

98 Contour SE Sport (ZETEC) 98 Mercury Mystique LS Sport (DURATEC)
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Well, the mystique IS a 6, and the contour a 4... maybe you just haven't really seen enough speed in the tour to notice any wind?

LOL

Seriously, though:

Have you checked your windshield wiper cowls for loose screws, or missing covers?

Perhaps its NOT at the windshield (all around, as you say).. perhaps you are just hearing an ambient noise that is hard to pinpoint? (wheel well liners undone and catching wind. radiator support cover (on the bottom).. etc.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Turn your stereo up a bit louder

Nah, sometimes it sounds the same with me, but only when its windy out

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by ContourKev:
Turn your stereo up a bit louder

That's what I would suggest. I've got wind noise like crazy, people comment on it a lot. Doesn't bother me though.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Run some water over the molding around the windshield and see if any slips past. If it does, there is your air leak point.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
yea you most likely have a leak. Is it original factory glass, most places use this mexican crap which chips easier, is thinner and dosent usally fit right, if thats the case take a hose and squirt the windshield down and see if theres a leak .

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
It does that on my mystique as well. And the window has also been replaced. There was a problem off leaks that I finally sealed up. However the noise is there and I can't figure out how to make it stop. I hate this mystique and will soon be free of it with the Mercury Sable my grandmother is giving me. Then again it's just another ford built car and I question if they are just average or below on their share of car problems?

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Yes my windshield is replaced as I mentioned previously. I once taped the whole area around and drove off and the noise didnt change. Could it be due to the fact that the 98+ mystique hoods are curved up and that air in the engine bay ends going under the hood curve in the center and hits the windshield? honestly I don't buy my own explanation but will try to block that gap and see if anything gets better. prior to 98 mystique hoods were almost flush with the wiper cowls. I read in a review once that in 98 the hood was raised to give the car a more luxurious look. I also checked my wiper cowls and taht for gaps, loose screws but everything looked normal. !!

98 Contour SE Sport (ZETEC) 98 Mercury Mystique LS Sport (DURATEC)
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
my old honda had that problem. the left wiper arm was set too high and was creating a whistle. 30 seconds and a socket wrench and it'll be fixed

'98.5 Black Ford Contour SE Sport 5-speed. All the SE Sport features with all the 98features that were supposed to be decontented for 98.5 '04 Silver Toyota RAV4 L Auto. Fully loaded.
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
You might check the rubber strips located in front of the the engine compartment by the radiator & the strip that seals hood/cowl junction. Much earlier posts (I think from Terry Haines) suggest that they're there to control air flow in the engine compartment.....my $.02

Is the smoke alarm in your house also known as the dinner bell? '99 Zetec VCT Daily Driver Mild Air Filter Mod

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard