Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by hmouta:
actually according to michelin, the good tires should go in the rear with the more worn out tires in the front. i'm too lazy to find the links. but basically having the rears good if the rear starts to swing out it would be easier for most typical drivers to turn the front into the slide and allow the rear tires to regrip. having the good tires in the rear allows the driver to react enough in the front each time to allow the rear to grip and not slip away. if the bad ones are in the rear and it starts to slip away and u turn into it, the rear isnt as likely to maintain grip and will continue to slide away causing u to lose full control of the car. opposite of what everyone says.

i agree, if you are forced to drive on some rather bald tires for a lil while, make sure the good tires are on the rear. I had a friend total an SVT focus because he had bald rear tires (new ones at home going to put them on after work) and on the way home from work it slid out and rolled 3 times. I'm sure he was driving too fast or something, but the point is, if you HAVE to, put the good tires in the rear, at least on a FWD car

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
According to this column by Tom & Ray of Car Talk fame, "good" tires go on the back.

Darren '98 Mystique LS -Duratec, MTX Nakamichi CD-40z, Knauberized, KKM tru rev intake, 9MM Motorsport Wires, SVT Springs/Struts
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
I agree with tropictour...good tires go on the front and back. On my old Tempo in the winter I got stuck in a couple iced up driveways (And once in a snow bank...being a kid with an e-brake on unplowed roads) until my front tires were nearly bald, so I put them on the back and switched the good ones to the front. She went up hills well, but one time doing 20 MPH on snowy unplowed roads, her back tires slid out and she did a 360 until she was backend into a ditch on the other side of the road...moral is, don't be cheap, if you think any tires are bad, replace them immediately.

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
S
svt4stv Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
S
IS ANYBODY LISTENING/READING? i said my tread is PERFECTLY FINE! as i mentioned a few spots above, in case of a BLOW-OUT!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Well if they have a "line" through the tread from the metal razor piece on the back then they could also split or separate. I read.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
1)bad(slit) tires go anywhere but on your car. period.

2)should you decide otherwise for whatever reason...i always put them in the back. in a fwd vehicle the fronts do a vast majority of the work and unless you are driving on snow or ice controlling the rear in a slide is a piece of cake imo.

i base this on my own personal experience

Last edited by my csvt; 05/18/05 08:14 AM.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard