Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by 99SESPORT:

If you are a teacher, you walk up, and you ask a student using a cell phone to put the phone down...He looks at you very defiantly and says "It's my mother in Iraq!!" How the crap is the teacher supposed to know the difference between a mother in Iraq and a drug deal? Eh? Exactly...

The teacher should err on the side of caution. Besides, someone saying their mother is in iraq and on the phone is a bit unusual and could easily be verified.

Quote:

The rule is no cellphone use during the school day...All the teacher knows is that the student is using a cell phone, therefore completely within her rights to stop the call...

The teacher can request the student stop the call but has NO right to physically remove the phone. That kind of act should be reserved for administration only.

Quote:

I'm not taking any responsibility for this away from the teacher, but don't take it away from the student either...

He could have made a better decision and contacted a teacher immediately about the phone call, and things may have gone a little differently...

The call was made during his lunch hour, therefore he wasn't in a class to begin with! The teacher shouldn't have done anything since it wasn't in class and it was a rather minor infraction. The teacher should have requested the student stop, when he refused, the teacher should have THEN contacted the administration.

Last edited by PackRat; 05/07/05 12:13 AM.
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by KnuKonceptz:
First, students shouldnt have phones on in school. I know though, we had pagers and we always had them on. If your the teacher and a kid says its his mom in Iraq, what are the chances he is being honest? Maybe the kid has a reputation for being a goof/prankster and the teacher just thought he was being his disruptive self? Didnt his mom know he would be in school anyway, seems dumb on all aspects.....

He wasn't in class so theres a good chance that this wasn't one of his teachers who would know him to be a prankster. He was outside of the school and wasn't disrupting anyways. When your calling from Iraq, you have to call when you get the chance. It's not like calling across town.

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by PackRat:

He wasn't in class so theres a good chance that this wasn't one of his teachers who would know him to be a prankster. He was outside of the school and wasn't disrupting anyways. When your calling from Iraq, you have to call when you get the chance. It's not like calling across town.

Where in the article did it say he was outside of school?

I don't blame the administration for what they did, his mom could have always called the office and got in touch with him that way.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Pete D:

I don't blame the administration for what they did, his mom could have always called the office and got in touch with him that way.

Hmmm, yeah.... Every mother carries around the school number to Iraq... I doubt she could have called 411 either. If I was the student, I would have just walked out of the school if I believed the call was that important.

1989 Toyota Corolla (Totaled, now father car) 1990 Isuzu Trooper (Sold for more than bought) 1998 Ford Contour SE (Totaled in moutains) 1990 Toyota Supra (Blown head gasket) 1998 Ford Contour SVT (So far so good ::knocks on wood::)
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Pete D:

This article that gives more information, information CNN didn't print.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/11575912.htm

Quote:

The incident happened when Francois received a call from his mother at 12:30 p.m., which he said was his lunch break. Francois said he went outside the school building to get a better reception when his mother called. A teacher who saw Francois on his phone told him to get off the phone. But he didn't.

Quote:

For Francois, he said he gets to hear from his mother once a month, and phone calls vary depending on when she can use the phone in Iraq. Francois said his mother calls as late as 1 a.m. to 3 a.m. and tries to catch him during hours he's awake. He said the phone call Wednesday was the first time she called him while he was at school.

His mother is on limited time calling from Iraq, as are a lot of soldiers, I doubt she's going to want to call the damn school first. She probably assumed, like any intelligent person out there might, that the school would understand the situation. I guess she hadn't planned on the stupidity of the way schools are run today.

Last edited by PackRat; 05/07/05 12:42 AM.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
"They're not supposed to use them for conversating back and forth during school because if they were allowed to do that, they could be text messaging each other for test questions." This guy has no idea what he is talking about... it isn't that easy to text during a test nor do teachers even allow such behavior. The principle is talking about cheating on tests, not talking to someone who is half way around the world at war...

1989 Toyota Corolla (Totaled, now father car) 1990 Isuzu Trooper (Sold for more than bought) 1998 Ford Contour SE (Totaled in moutains) 1990 Toyota Supra (Blown head gasket) 1998 Ford Contour SVT (So far so good ::knocks on wood::)
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by CoolSVT:
"They're not supposed to use them for conversating back and forth during school because if they were allowed to do that, they could be text messaging each other for test questions." This guy has no idea what he is talking about... it isn't that easy to text during a test nor do teachers even allow such behavior. The teacher is talking about teaching on tests, not talking to someone who is half way around the world at war...

For real, if a teacher doesn't notice some student messing with his phone during a test, he needs to have his teaching credentiats shoved up his ass.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Now wtf is that. It's hard having family far away, and especially being ground troops. At least my brother was semi-safe miles out to sea on amphibious assault ship Kearsarge. Had that been my brother calling me in high school, they would have recieved the same juvenile behavior from me. What the hell do they expect coming from a high school male who hasn't seen his mother in the past year?

They should suspend the teacher a week or even fire the person for becoming physical. That behavior isn't tolerated at the district I graduated from.

Last edited by Pre98; 05/07/05 12:49 AM.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well, Packrat nailed his argument. Solid reasoning, well explained.

But where does that leave me? My job is to antagonize Packrat, but he's not giving me anything to work with.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by caltour:
Well, Packrat nailed his argument. Solid reasoning, well explained.

But where does that leave me? My job is to antagonize Packrat, but he's not giving me anything to work with.

I can't quite tell if you are being sarcastic, hahaha!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard