#1270333 05/18/05 07:34 PM
O
OB1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Obie1:
I purchased my 98 csvt in about November. When I bought it I knew it was a fixer upper, but the lady that sold it to me told me that she had had the tranny rebuilt a few months earlier. She couldn't find her reciept but Gave me the shops name and# and said to call and give them the vin# and they could send me the records. Now this thing was grinding everytime you went near 2nd, 3rd was terrible, and if you were in it it would grind 4th, so naturally i didn't believe the lady.
About 3 months ago I took my baby to a friend of a friends shop. this guy has done several auto trannys for me, he even did my 98SE trans after i pulled it. So anyway he gets under the weather and instead of him calling me and sending my car back, he subs it out to another shop. I called the guy several times and finally yesterday he gets it back andhe tells me that they screwed it up! It won't even go into reverse or 5th, my brake lights were stuck on, and the B*$#H is still grindin' every once and a while in third!
Okay I went and got my car today,(4 the record I didn't give him a dime!)and I drove thru parts of GA & AL some interstate in 4th gear. I got it home and fixed the brake lights 1st. Then I start looking at getting 5th and R, but its not gonna happen, pretty sure i've got a bent fork there.
But the point of all of this is how can this thing still begrinding if the synchro's have been replaced twice?
2nd question is what does the Focus shift tower look like? I had heard that the contour one was plastic and the focus metal.

Sorry I got long winded but I'm pretty upset.

This is a post i did from the transaxle forum, it tells almost the whole story, But I still haven't heard from Terry Haines.

I don't "mod" I just fix what breaks! 98 CSVT #2527 T-Red (Limping) 98 CSVT #2228 T-Red (Donor) 98 SE Sport ATX V6 (Running again) If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me!
#1270334 05/19/05 03:13 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
I remember reading that... I don't answer too many MTX-75 Q's, because my fortay is mainly with the CD4E.

But yeah, I think your right about the bent fork. Do notice if your shifter is loose? If so, that could play into it as well. If the rubber gromets for the linkage wears out, this sorta stuff has been known to happen. Not sure if I have heard of only 5th and reverse though.

I will have to do some searching on that!

As for the syncro's grinding... Well, it depends alot on not only how a person drives the car, but the fluid that is used in the tranny and the syncro's themselves.

There are updated synco's avaliable that are less prone to wear and alot of the people have been switching to Redline MTL fluid with great results in situations like yours. I have read a lot of posts were people would complain of 3rd gear grinding and just switching to the Redline MTL stopped it.

If you are pretty sure about the bent fork (shifter not being loose) then your best course of action would be to get your hands on a set of the new shift forks (have roller bearings) and the new syncro's... and well... bite the bullet.

Here's some part numbers and prices that a fellow CEGer put together...

-- Shift Forks --
1-2 Shift Fork - YS2Z-7230-BA - $19.24
3-4 Shift Fork - YS4Z-7230-AD - $22.22
5-R Shift Fork - XS8Z-7230-DD - $21.05

-- Replacement Synronizers --
1-2 Syncronizer - F8RZ-7124-AA - $45.41
3-4 Syncronizer - F8RZ-7124-BA - $35.54
3-4 Syncronizer - F8RZ-7M000-BB - $39.65
5-R Syncronizer - F8RZ-7124-CA - $37.52
5-R Syncronizer - 97ZZ-7124-CB - $39.73

-- Syncronizer Blockers (Snap Rings) --
3rd Gear Snap Ring (4th & 5th) - YM2Z-7107-EB - $7.01
3rd Gear Outer - F5RZ-7107-A - $28.03
3rd Gear Inner - F5RZ-7107-DA - $10.05

Man I hope that helps you out a little. Shot me a PM, with your e-mail address, and I will shot you back the spreadsheet that this guy put together. It is really a great piece of information to have.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#1270335 05/22/05 01:54 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
<---------lives in Auburn

Cool.

Seems like there are quite a few people in Alabama and Florida panhandle (lower Alabama ) around here.
I am finally settled and I have my tools in my garage! I have a couple things I need to do to my car i.e. figure out what's up with my alignment, but then I can journey to a Meet somewhere.
It is looking like Montgomery is close to everyone so maybe that is the place.
Anyone with SVT's around this place?
Am I the only turbo or 3L SVT (or both) in this area?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1270336 05/23/05 01:17 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I live in atlanta but my girlfriend goes to school in Mobile, AL, so I am in the area every once and a while

Cameron 98 Black CSVT #2958
#1270337 05/23/05 06:35 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by warmonger:
Cool.

Seems like there are quite a few people in Alabama and Florida panhandle (lower Alabama ) around here.
I am finally settled and I have my tools in my garage! I have a couple things I need to do to my car i.e. figure out what's up with my alignment, but then I can journey to a Meet somewhere.

If it's after 4 July consider me there! Sadly I'm crazy busy until then having just moved further south myself. I'd definitely like to see a FI'd CSVT in the flesh.

You're in Ozark now, right? Don't forget the Wiregrass region throws a great auto-x the 2nd Sunday of every month...or they did two years ago.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
#1270338 05/23/05 11:10 PM
O
OB1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
<---------lives in Auburn

Cool.

Mine is a CSVT, I'm up to meet wherever, but I finally got in touch with Terry H. today and its gonna be june 9th before I quit one of my jobs and get a day off. Maybe after July 4th would be long enough to get it straight.
I hope so anyway I'd love to meet some members and I would really like to see your car warmonger, so I could steal some ideas!

I don't "mod" I just fix what breaks! 98 CSVT #2527 T-Red (Limping) 98 CSVT #2228 T-Red (Donor) 98 SE Sport ATX V6 (Running again) If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me!
#1270339 05/24/05 01:11 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I'm up for that!

I used to do little workshops for friends back in Arizona where they come up with something they want done and I'll help them plan how to do it, then we'll get plastered...er...we'll drink water and work on the stuff.

What do you need to do to your car that Terry Haines will do? Is it transmission work?

An autoX in the area sounds great. I am waiting for a new motor mount to come in so I can install it then I am going to begin stage 3 of my turbo kit.
I have the WeaponR stainless headers sitting in my garage right now and I am going to replace my modified factory manifold setup with these bad boys! I expect a nice little boost in power from them.
I'm also still trying to debate throwing my SVT Cams back in or leave the escape cams. Not sure yet.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1270340 05/24/05 02:31 AM
O
OB1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
O
I would love to come around and watch you install those headers, but I'm having this little time problem with everything im into, and I'm going to look at the car when I get a day off b/c Terry gave me some Ideas if I get it fixed I'm calling in to both of my jobs and just cruising for a day or so! Might even swing by Dothan, so I can drool over your car!

#1270341 05/24/05 02:42 AM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I'm up for that!

I have the WeaponR stainless headers sitting in my garage right now and I am going to replace my modified factory manifold setup with these bad boys! I expect a nice little boost in power from them.
I'm also still trying to debate throwing my SVT Cams back in or leave the escape cams. Not sure yet.

Sounds like some mod fun. Lemmie know when you plan on doing that and we can either schedule a meet up here with everyone to do some of the work and then, take it to trackmasters to dyno it. I wanna see if we can break a dyno! Pleaaassse can we? Oh please??? I think it would be real cool to see the look on Arthur's face when he sees what would grace his dyno and then the look when he sees the numbers, priceless...

Just as a heads up, remember, if anyone wants to come up and hang out this weekend, we are having a get together to go check out some muscle cars and hot air balloons, lots of entertainment and fireworks. Wanna come check it out, lemmie know.

L8R
Rich

'04 Ecotec Cavi 140hp/150tq Fabbed intake. Header Coming, DRL's disabled, X-Drilled/slotted rotors coming....Man you really are fast. You were hauling a$$ when I passed you RB&LB causing problems in Huntsville
#1270342 05/24/05 03:02 PM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I dunno if i can get away long enough to do anything this weekend, but i can hope! If i can get someone to help me with my kids, ill prolly make it. These 3 are a hard crew to chase. Especially with #4 wearin me down. I found out its a boy, yay! Im just glad i aint showin much yet. No one can even tell im preggo and here i am halfway through it! Well ill figure something out i hope. Talk to yall later
Amanda

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lee_dup2, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard