Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
well, my wife is graduating from pharmacy school in 2 weeks, and one thing she had always planned on doing upon graduation was getting a new car. she had had her '98 civic since new, and while a good and reliable car, it wasn't exactly anything special. it accumulated a full college career's worth of dings and scratches along its flanks, and while it had been religiously maintained and dead-reliable, the mileage was creeping up into the mid-80k range....and the new car itch had struck.

we got back from our honeymoon 2 1/2 weeks ago and had taken a couple of additional days off work to get settled and recuperated and whatnot....and while out and about getting bank accounts merged and cell phone plans combined and all that stuff we decided to go visit a few car dealers. she had originally wanted a G35 coupe even before we met and before i bought my '04 G35c, but our heinous dealer experience coupled with the lemon-esque flavor of mine turned us off permanently to infiniti. so, off to visit acura, lexus, audi, bmw, etc....

first drove a TL and a TSX back to back. the TSX was more comfortable for her size-wise just b/c it was nearer to the size of the civic, but we both knew a couple days in the larger TL and it would feel just as "right" while having a heck of a lot more features, power, and space. there were no new IS300's on the lot, but we drove a certified used one that she didn't like - it felt "cramped" to her. drove through the bmw lot and audi lot and didn't see anything that interested her, and a quick side visit to a volvo joint didn't turn up any other options. at the end of the day, she decided she wanted the TL.

so, we decided to start doing some preliminary pricing work to prepare for purchasing something in about 4-6 weeks. a friend had just bought a TL himself and gotten a good deal, so i used his number as a baseline and sought out "best offers" from several internet managers at regional dealerships. within a week, i had established that my local dealer was meeting or beating everyone else's, and that they seemed pretty hungry to do something before month's end.

i talked it over w/ my wife, and we decided to go for it...so last week i finalized the numbers, we decided to trade her civic (instead of keeping it or selling it privately) since they were giving us a pretty good trade-in number, and on saturday we went in to do the paperwork and take delivery of a satin silver/quartz leather '05 TL (5AT, non-navi).

i must say, that was the easiest car purchase i've made - and JV will attest that i've made quite a few in recent years. having the deal worked out via email saved much of the back-and-forth grief on-site, and getting a deal we felt comfortable with up front prevented any buyer's remorse the day after. they even gave us another TL off the lot to go run errands in and kill time while they finished setting up the paperwork so that we wouldn't be twiddling our thumbs in the waiting area for 2 hours....

so far, we're loving it. it's an auto and FWD, instead of my preferred RWD/manual configuration, but for her - it's perfect. love the bluetooth, love the dvd-audio stereo...and the interior quality is noticeably better than my infiniti's was. ride quality and power are nice - much better than the TSX on both counts, imho - though that's not really a surprise given the larger mass to help w/ bump absorption and 70 more HP.

the only bad thing is, i'm jealous of the new car smell again (my current JGC was purchased used 2 months ago - no new car smell there!). guess i'll just have to cross my fingers and hope i can get my hands on an '06 miata this fall.

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
PA pa pa pa pa pa piiiccssss!!!???

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Hope she's not like you Blake and gets rid of it in 5 months.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Nice ride! Where's that "This Thread is Worthless Without Pics" graemlin? Do you mind me asking what you paid? I'm trying to get an idea what real-world prices are on those.

Damn you, feeding MY new car itch again! My BMW's got 117k on it and it's just developed a nast rear end clunk along with an alignment that went to hell all of a sudden. Probably nothing too major but I'm getting sick of throwing money into high-mileage used cars so I blew out of work on Tuesday (I love not being responsible to anyone for my time!) and test drove a couple of cars - Audi A3 (cramped!) and an '05 A4 2.0T, 6-speed, loaded I loved the A4 but the 36k asking price on a *slightly* used car (1500 miles, buyer decided he didn't like the color and traded it it) made me think again. Now I'm crusing around looking for a Mini to test drive... I wish I had had a GM card back in December-January when they were giving 6k in GM card $$ on '04 GTO purchases regardless of your actual balance, plus $5k in cash from GM to the dealer - guys were "smartbuying" them for about $100/month!

Oh, well, the Bimmer goes into the shop on Friday to get looked at, and I'll keep looking at other options with a reasonable price tag.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by LilStripedRocket:
PA pa pa pa pa pa piiiccssss!!!???

heh - sorry. i knew that was coming. none yet, but i'll see if i can take a few and get 'em posted....

Originally posted by todras:
Hope she's not like you Blake and gets rid of it in 5 months.

not likely....she had the civic for 7 years, and she doesn't get the "itch" every 6-8 months like i do.

Originally posted by Pigeon:
Nice ride! Where's that "This Thread is Worthless Without Pics" graemlin? Do you mind me asking what you paid? I'm trying to get an idea what real-world prices are on those.

MSRP including destination was about $33,700; we paid $31,800 for the car. almost $2k off is significantly better than edmunds TMV was showing, though a brief scan of a TL forum showed a couple deals dipping into the lower $31k range. so, you might be able to haggle another $500 off of our deal if you're in the right place at the right time, but i feel comfortable that we got a better-than-average deal without having to fight for it.

Originally posted by Pigeon:
Damn you, feeding MY new car itch again!

lol. i feed my new car itch every day just by visiting this and every other car forum - i know the feeling!

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
aww man noo G35c then?!?!?

I looove the G35c..love it love it love it..however now the new ones dont offer Brembo brakes in the 6-speed manual option..I guess my friend was lucky when he got his

X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Good choice! There are a bunch of TL's driving around this part of the country. My friend just picked up a new TSX and I am very impressed with it! The interior quality/fit finish is almost better than her mother's 5series that only a year old!

Above all I must say that the guages and HIDs are really impressive!

After putting 1600 miles on her TSX this weekend definitely put it on the list of contenders for tour replacement in the next few years.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
aww man noo G35c then?!?!?

I looove the G35c..love it love it love it..

we know. having owned one myself for a year, however, i don't. it's a beautiful car, and magazine racers and internet voyeurs will sing its praises till the second coming - and i'm sure most owners who aren't stuck with a lemon and a crappy dealer will probably echo those sentiments. however, my situation was not all roses and happiness. even if you take away the fact that mine was a lemon, we're still left with the fact that the only dealer here has a customer service satisfaction index just beyond toilet-worthiness. there is no way i'd buy another car from that dealer - or one that has to be serviced and warrantied there. hump your buddy's coupe all you like, but we're not about to set another foot on our infiniti dealer's lot.

Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
however now the new ones dont offer Brembo brakes in the 6-speed manual option..I guess my friend was lucky when he got his

lucky except for the brake dust and the susceptibility to chipping that the brembo calipers have when in the not-so-careful hands of infiniti techs or tire jockeys. speaking from experience, since mine had several nice chips in the gold powdercoat courtesy of the bumbling monkeys at crown infiniti.

[sorry for the slightly embittered tone here - but what should have been an incredible car to own was soured by a year's worth of increasingly frustrating situations with and caused by the dealer and by inherent assembly problems with *my* coupe.]

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Friend has a 2004 TL 6 speed and the goodies , He says stock it has 270HP , if you ride in it you cant even come close to feeling it . I would never buy one

Check me out for awsome powder coating deals www.powdercoatingworld.com People shouldn't slam each other when posting, If you cant say something good to say then just hit the back arrow.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
The TL is the sexiest sedan out there, no question. I approve the purchase.

However, in your extensive financial planning, did you or did you not figure out how much of a hit you will take when you sell it in November?

-J

P.S. Congrats! I want pics!

'98 4Runner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard