Next Thread
Print Thread
#1263707 04/30/05 09:17 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I know a lot of you have been to college or are still going, so I figure I might as well ask here.

I am going to be going to college very soon, as soon as I get out of Iraq, so I can get my Mechanical Engineering Degree. The thing is, as I am looking, it looks like UVA is the only college that really offers a Engineering program. I think W&M said they have one, but from what I hear it is a video of the UVA classes.

The only real reason I dont want to go to UVA, is the distance. Rachel, Kylie and I live in Fredericksburg, and I dont think I want to drive to Charlottesville every day I have classes. I was hoping maybe one of you guys might know of a college closer to Fredericksburg area that offers engineering programs. Any help will be well appreciated... I might be a while on responses.... I dont exactly get a lot of time out here to get on the internet.. but I am going to try cause I get out of here first week on June and have to start getting college crap done as soon as I can when i get back stateside.

2002 Focus ZX3, MTX-75: A good amount of mods 2003 SVT Focus ZX5, Getrag-6: FS Stressbar Best mod ever to my tour: A Beautiful passenger seat filler, that is my girl!!
#1263708 04/30/05 04:53 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'm assuming your getting close to your EAS. You might look into AMU for the basic classes. Yeah, Yeah, its an online school, but I'm sure it could serve the purpose. I also think VMI has the same program your looking for, but I doubt you want that kind of school....

Ryan Trollin!
#1263709 05/01/05 04:47 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
VTech has the best engineering school in the mid-atlantic states. VCU is good too. but being in fredericksburg you might have a bit of a drive.

05 Chevy Colorado z71 4x4 *for sale* 97 Honda Accord 4door track whore *12.9 N/A* (blown and wrecked) 97 Honda Accord 4 door 03 Eclipse GS
#1263710 05/02/05 12:49 PM
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
University of MD @ College Park is no slouch!

2004 Rankings
1. Mass Institute of Tech
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkley
4. University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign
5. Georgia Institute of Technology
6. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
7. California Institute of Technology
8. University of Southern California
9. Purdue University-West Lafayette (IN)
University of Texas-Austin
11. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
Cornell University (NY)
University of California-San Diego
14. Texas A&M University-College Station
15. University of Wisconsin-Madison
16. University of Maryland-College Park
17. Harvard University (MA)
18. Princeton University (NJ)
19. Northwestern University (IL)
University of California-Los Angeles
21. Penn State University-University Park

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#1263711 05/02/05 01:47 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
No joke. Last summer I stayed at UM (I always have problems saying this, since I go to UM-University of Michigan!). Anyways, I stayed with a guy who did his mechanical engineering at UM, CP. Anyways, he was making 60k straight out of college in his first year! Pretty impressive! So as Andy stated, don't count UM out!

Good luck and thanks for serving for us in Iraq!

99 Black Contour SE Sport
#1263712 05/02/05 06:39 PM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
dont forget bucknell!
8)
we love 30 hours of class for engineering!

-the original non contour owner- an m3 or an sti? thats like asking "Miss USA or Hooter's waitress?" 05' Sti Silver/Silver
#1263713 05/02/05 07:05 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
To save some money and increase your chances of acceptance, I would recommend taking your core courses at a local community college.

Keep your grades as high as possible - UVA, UMD, VT are not easy schools to get into and the Engineering schools are pretty tough as well.

Apply to the schools you are thinking about attending.
Find out what kind of financial aid you can get.
Know what courses transfer to your potential schools.
Know what courses you should be taking as pre-requisites to those schools.
Make sure you keep in constant contact with your advisors.

HTH

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#1263714 05/04/05 12:28 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by SVT PETE:
To save some money and increase your chances of acceptance, I would recommend taking your core courses at a local community college.

Keep your grades as high as possible - UVA, UMD, VT are not easy schools to get into and the Engineering schools are pretty tough as well.

Apply to the schools you are thinking about attending.
Find out what kind of financial aid you can get.
Know what courses transfer to your potential schools.
Know what courses you should be taking as pre-requisites to those schools.
Make sure you keep in constant contact with your advisors.

HTH

yeah justin, that's what i did. i got my associates and a certificate at NOVA then transferred to Catholic and saved about $70,000 in the process. plus the work load is lighter and sometimes easier at a Comm. College. good luck though! let us know how that little one is doing too...

"What did you think about that Dorothy girl?" "The whole Judy Garland thing kinda turned me on. That doesn't make me some sort of fag does it? "Nah baby, your money." 98 Black SVT #3560 of 6535
#1263715 05/05/05 02:13 AM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/gwu/academics_programs/undergrad_mechanical_eng.php?rsn=iaad

GW is really expensive. However, the degree may be worth it in the long run. I would take Pete & Cliff's advice also. NOVA first, to save money.

98 svt contour 90K black only owner no accidents bilsteins!!
#1263716 05/06/05 04:47 PM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Hey... thank you guys!!! I know you all would have some good ol advice. I was really thinking of U of MD. From what I hear it "accepts" more "military" college credits than any other college on the East coast. So I was really thinking of that.. especially since I have over 40 credits with the marine corps.. of course most are electorial credits, history, some math, some grammar, but most of the credits I have are for electronics, solid state devices and such and such as that.

But, I think I may go to Germanna CC in Locust Grove, or right outside of Fredricksburg first... to get started. and I really want to go to UVA, or VT or VCU as well.. i am really screwed right now though... timing couldnt be worse and I am out here until my EAS so I am pretty scewed on collecting the USMC paycheck while I search... so basically I got a month to come home, say hi to fam, check out, and research college from NC at that! So thank you USMC... you've been a BIG help. But... ahhhh... it will be over soon. and I know you have been through the same RT... I dont have to beeeatch to you... you know what is up.. but as my favorite retired USMC buddy always says "thats the price you pay to be one of the world's finest!"

So again, thank all of you for your help. and keep it coming. Remember I have a 1yr old now, and I live off of I-95, exit 117-130ish.

Thanks

2002 Focus ZX3, MTX-75: A good amount of mods 2003 SVT Focus ZX5, Getrag-6: FS Stressbar Best mod ever to my tour: A Beautiful passenger seat filler, that is my girl!!

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard