Print Thread
#1263256 04/29/05 08:38 PM
S
sail114 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Ok, this is the second time this has happened. I started my car up yesterday only to move it so that I could give it a bath. Shut it down within 1 minute, then after I was done washing, i started it up again, and shut it down again within 1 minute. (I don't make a habit of doing this, it's just that I wasn't going anywhere).

Well, when I started it up this morning, the revs slowly climbed as the starter kicked over, and then the car started rocking uncontrollably. It honestly felt as though one of my cylinders wasn't firing and the whole engine was off-balance. As the car continued running and I gave it some fuel, the engine started to idle very smoothy like there had been nothing wrong.
It's been running fine ever since...

Any ideas?
I'm wondering if there could have been some unburned gas from yesterday flooding one of the cylinder heads, or if one of my injectors is sticking... but I'd like to know what you guys think

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by sail114:
Ok, this is the second time this has happened. I started my car up yesterday only to move it so that I could give it a bath. Shut it down within 1 minute, then after I was done washing, i started it up again, and shut it down again within 1 minute. (I don't make a habit of doing this, it's just that I wasn't going anywhere).

Well, when I started it up this morning, the revs slowly climbed as the starter kicked over, and then the car started rocking uncontrollably. It honestly felt as though one of my cylinders wasn't firing and the whole engine was off-balance. As the car continued running and I gave it some fuel, the engine started to idle very smoothy like there had been nothing wrong.
It's been running fine ever since...

Any ideas?
I'm wondering if there could have been some unburned gas from yesterday flooding one of the cylinder heads, or if one of my injectors is sticking... but I'd like to know what you guys think

Yeah, unbruned gas.. most likly when you shut the car off, a complete cycle of 1-6 sylinders was in the middle of firing at one point when you shut it off. Basically, one of the cylinders was just flooded. new cars do that all the time.. especially the series 3 3800. You're fine... just stop with the starting and stopping, damnit!

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Yes. Running the engine for a very short time can can foul plugs. Sometimes bad enough that it won't start without cleaning them (or at least cleaning the front bank and letting it run long enough for the rest to clean up once you get it started).

Sometimes it is even bad enough that the rings get washed out and there is no compression so the engine cranks extremely fast but will not start.

If this should happen, try holding the throttle to the floor while you crank (this turns off the injectors). You may be able to clean things up enough by cranking with the injectors off to get it to start. In extreme cases, pull the front plugs and squirt a little oil in the cylinders to get compression back.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
sail114 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I thought was happening. I'm debating pulling a few plugs just to see if the cones are starting to get a bit fried (despite having replaced them last summer). The car runs fine without any misfires though (execept for my fuel pump stutter in 3rd gear), so I'm guessing the plugs are still in good shape.

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by sail114:
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I thought was happening. I'm debating pulling a few plugs just to see if the cones are starting to get a bit fried (despite having replaced them last summer). The car runs fine without any misfires though (execept for my fuel pump stutter in 3rd gear), so I'm guessing the plugs are still in good shape.

I wish my car *had* 5 cylinders!

BTW, that reminds me of a bumper sticker that I saw once in the late 80's when Audi was going through their "unintended acceleration" problems. They were getting bad press over a drummed up 60 Minutes investigation into incidents where people were running over their loved ones and destroying their garage doors by accidentally hitting the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

The bumper sticker was on a Chevette, an anemic performer at the best of times. It read, "Where can I get some of that unintended acceleration?".
/Eric

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada '96 Mystique GS, ATX

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard