Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I know about the hard 1-2 shift in the ATX at high rpms but I seem to get it even at rpms between 1000-2000 rpm (with quick throttle release). I have the new turbine sensor and it does improve the hard shift but some of it is still there. Do others get the hard 1-2 shift when they back off the throttle quickly? All other shifting is good and normal. I have mobil 1 fluid in the ATX.

'96 Mystique GS 2.0L ATX
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Lets start simple first.

Is your fluid level correct? Top up.

Is your fluid old or thin or dark from carbon (burnt fluid)? If your transmission has been neglected, try a drain and fill method every two weeks until the transmission fluid is clear. If well maintained, try a flush.

If problem still exists after the above, it may likely be due to a worn valve body.
http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/DM/CD4E.htm
The link above from Sonnax, details a list of products they offer which make improvements over the Ford parts. I suggest you download, save and review all the pdf files about their various CD4E products.

Under the shift concern section...
(Bump in 2nd or 4th, soft or harsh shifts) (2-4 Accumulator Piston) (73840-24)

That may be your issue. A rebuilt valve body using Sonnax parts can be had from Axiom Automotive Technologies. www.axiom.com ($300 plus shipping with no core). In my opinion, this is better than a Ford rebuilt unit.

Should the valve body not be the issue, you still need the new valve body if a rebuild is needed.

1997 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 ATX
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
My issue is simular but a little different.

I get a hard shift from 1-2(ATX) from time to time but not all the time.

I've done the fluid change and it it seems to be a little smoother but nothing dramatic.

I've removed/poured in 8 quarts through the ATX in the last 2 weeks.

Any ideas or suggestions on improving this 1-2 hard shift ?

btw:
After shifting in to 2nd, all other gears are very smooth.

98 Contour GL/03 ZX3 Focus/05 ZX3 SES Focus
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
$30 dollar shift correction kit from www.bulkpart.com

Don't have to remove atx.

Instructions included. Longer you wait, the better chance of blowing seals, etc.

If problem is not eliminated by correction kit...you probably will be inline for a rebuilt....however since you installed shift correction kit in valve body, you have a good start on a rebuild.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Thanks for the suggestion.

Which one should I get ?

Click here

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I clicked on shift kits and found this:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=CD4Evbkits

I'm guessing the $30.84, first one?

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Do you guys think that if one of those valve bodies was installed before any problems occurred it would help the life of the tranny in the long run??

My tranny has almost 75k on it now and hasn't had any problems yet *knocks on wood*. I was just thinking that it may be a good idea to install the shift kit/valve body before any problems started. Just a thought...

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
The TransGo Kit is the one I am referring to. The superior kit is something new that I have not seen before..... Don't know anything about it.

You will be safe with the Transgo Kit.

I would recommend that you install the kit as preventative maintenance item. The valve body does wear and you don't want to get to the point that some people are at now with shifting problems, etc.

Regards,
Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
You say that you can install this kit while the tranny is still on the car/engine.

How hard is it to install ?

Is there any special tools required to install this kit ?

I assume that I'll be draining the tranny fluid too to install this kit ?

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I think I found my ANSWER.

Doesn't look like an easy job for an intermediate home mechanic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard