Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
elraido Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Well, went home this past weekend to hopefully try and fix some issues that I have been having with my car. Didn't get around to it and that is a good thing. On the drive back to school at around 8:00 pm, I am taking a nice drink of Mt. Dew and then there is this huge THUD! I didn't even see ANYTHING. Pull over to the side of the road and get out and see what the heck happened. Walk back about 100 ft and nothing on the side of the road, then walk back to the car. Look at the front. $&*!!$$ Steam everwere from the engine bay, hood in cruppled like you wouldn't believe, windshield smashed, headlight smashed, turn signal smashed, radiator leaking, front clip bent.....ugggggggggggg. The front bumper on the other hand is in perfect shape....go figure. I think it is time to go to the auto salvage yard to get some parts. I am just really really happy that the air bags didn't go off. I was looking at it last night and it looks like it just missed crushing the sensors....I think if that happened I would have just said screw it. Anything that I should look for that you people can think of.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by elraido:
Well, went home this past weekend to hopefully try and fix some issues that I have been having with my car. Didn't get around to it and that is a good thing. On the drive back to school at around 8:00 pm, I am taking a nice drink of Mt. Dew and then there is this huge THUD! I didn't even see ANYTHING. Pull over to the side of the road and get out and see what the heck happened. Walk back about 100 ft and nothing on the side of the road, then walk back to the car. Look at the front. $&*!!$$ Steam everwere from the engine bay, hood in cruppled like you wouldn't believe, windshield smashed, headlight smashed, turn signal smashed, radiator leaking, front clip bent.....ugggggggggggg. The front bumper on the other hand is in perfect shape....go figure. I think it is time to go to the auto salvage yard to get some parts. I am just really really happy that the air bags didn't go off. I was looking at it last night and it looks like it just missed crushing the sensors....I think if that happened I would have just said screw it. Anything that I should look for that you people can think of.

Damn that sucks, now go put that meat in the freezer!!!

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
....and FEAR the Moose!

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by WestCoastAjax:
....and FEAR the Moose!

Heck yes! I'm so glad elk aren't in my part of PA yet. I drive through north central PA scared!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Sorry to hear it happened to you man...

I was ridin with my dad and the lights of the oncoming traffic flickered, and at the last minute, my dad slammed on his brakes, coming with a foot or so of a VERY LARGE cow...I hate animals that don't look before they cross!

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Picture this, I'm tooling down the road in my V-dub, it's after mid-night and up ahead I see something in the light hazy fog. And then holy crap and I slam on the typically lousy Beetle brakes and mercifly I get slowed down. As I move slowly forward my rear view mirror glides under the chin of an absolutely huge black and white cow.

She and few of her sisters are standing in the middle of Hwy 101. I slowly weave my way through and accelerate back up to speed. Ahead I see some headlights, I flash him like crazy, I sure hope he got slowed down in time.

Sarge43 "00" Tique 2.0L I4 ATX "98" Mustang 3.8L V6 AT The reason there's so much ignorance is that those who have it are so eager to share it.
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
I feel your pain!! Last October 75MPH on the NYS thruway at 4:30 AM! I hit it fast enough to launch it straight up in the air. I never saw the damn thing until it was airborne!! Luckily it didn't blow the airbags or crack the radiator so I continued to work and then drove home afterwards (260 mile round trip!)with one working light. I was surprised at how well the car held up.

I usually buy them wrecked and rebuild them, but as luck would have it the one that wasn't wrecked when I got it I wrecked! Fourtunately I happen to have tons of Contour parts, but I just got around to rebuilding it this week.

What to look for?? It's pretty staright forward. Just make sure when you start to work on it unplug your battery so you don't run the risk of blowing your airbags. You'll also want to check that your fan is fully operational. Other than that just replace what s damaged. [image]http://www.geocities.com/albatross32672/pictures.html?1113315621062[/image]

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
E
elraido Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Well, I got an estimate on the parts that I need and it only came to $500. Not too bad! The only tough part that I can see is the windshield and installing it. I think instead of hammering the front clip into place I might just get a new one....just saves me a lot of grief and hassle.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by elraido:
Well, I got an estimate on the parts that I need and it only came to $500. Not too bad! The only tough part that I can see is the windshield and installing it. I think instead of hammering the front clip into place I might just get a new one....just saves me a lot of grief and hassle.

I'm assuming that you're refering to the radiator support. They don't bend back easy because there is a lot of reinforcement to them. Assuming that you know what you're doing with body work, just get a new support, buy a spot weld bit, drill out the spot welds on the old support, remove it and weld in the new one. You can also use a used support which I prefer because it's actually easier to use the used one(if you know what you're doing). As for the windsheild, if you're never done one, DON'T DO IT!! You're better off going to a glass shop and having them install it. Removing the windshield is time consuming, but not difficult. You need piano wire or cutting cable to get the old one out. Installing the replacement can be tricky that's why I recomend that you got to a glass shop. It's very easy to break the replacement or install it incorrectly which can be dangerous because the windshield is a structural part of the Contour.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
E
elraido Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I dont' think I would even attempt to do the windshield myself. And I am going to contact the salvage yard again and see how much the whole front clip is going to be...the radiator support, fenders, headlights....everything is going to be. Hopefully it will just "bolt" up and then I wouldn't need to worry about hammering anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard