Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
HI, has anyone experienced this: When revving very high, past 6,000 rpm, sometimes my battery light will flicker.

Does this mean the alternator is overcharging at that moment?

Dan

2000 Black SVT #2639/2760; w/18 OZ Superleggera's, Pirelli Pzero Nero. MSDS Headers,Quaife LSD, CF DF, Borla,,chipped,DMD,Baer Track rotors. Lowered/HR and Koni's; HPP & OMP 3L Valves w/ P&P Heads (thanks Kinger!)
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
You had use the search tool you could had find your answer. MOST of the time that mean that your alternator is crack.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Light illumination indicates a NO charge condition. flikering at high rpms indicates, usually, that the brushes within the alternator are floating.

I give you 3 weeks from the FIRST time you saw that flicker until it fails... (if you drive daily..)
IF it does fail, and the light stays on all the time:
  • turn off ALL loading devices (radio, headlights(iff possible) interior lights, AC, anything that will cause a load on the engine..
  • keep the rpm's "normal" at around 3000 or lower.
  • drive straight home, or to the garage, wherever you plan on fixing this..
  • expect to get about 40-50 miles out of it before the car dies(it is currently running on battery only..)

Now.. before someone chimes in, I will explain something.

A GOOD battery, with a FULL charge, can be expected to go 80-100 miles on careful driving.. but: how new is your battery, and how full is the charge if your light was flickering already?)

Check out the how-to under duratec maintenance, under "Ray's how-to's"

Straight-forward, and NOT difficult, with the help of a few extensions.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
thanks guys...my battery is only 2 1/2 years old. I'll check the other info you suggested.

have a great weekend

dan

2000 Black SVT #2639/2760; w/18 OZ Superleggera's, Pirelli Pzero Nero. MSDS Headers,Quaife LSD, CF DF, Borla,,chipped,DMD,Baer Track rotors. Lowered/HR and Koni's; HPP & OMP 3L Valves w/ P&P Heads (thanks Kinger!)
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
FWIW:

a completely DEAD battery, would not trip a no-charge light.. it has absolutely nothing to do with battery voltage, rather with CHARGE from the alternator..

Ray

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
so just take it out and rebuild the darn thing, alot cheaper.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
rebuilt alternators can, and usually do fall in to the category of "sub-par" performance or reliability, heck even purchasing a remanufactured one is a gamble (look at the gobs of threads on alternators going out within 3 months of being replaced.. [some within the month..])

it IS possible to buy brushes, and replace them, but hardly economical, or worthy. (I promise I am not trying to follow you and rain on EVERY parade you have going, Eduardo...)

Ray

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
no man its cool i understand you have alot of good information to tell so tell it, im just saying what i know, i rebuild alternators all the time, power window motors to really any electric motors. and yea a couple i have rebuilt have failed , but thats only a couple and sh!t happens.since i own a glass shop i set in my basement every night rebuilding darn motors. and its well worth it, when you can get them for free rebuild them and sell it for 150$ why not?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard