Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1238755 04/07/05 02:32 AM
E
Endo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
I took my car into the local Ford dealership because of some weird vibrations in the drivetrain. Turns out one of the motor mounts was broken. They fixed that, but they also said that the transmission mount was busted as well and that they couldn't fix it. They said the only way to fix the problem would be a whole new tranny.

This sounded like BS to me but I thought I'd see what the experts here think.

Apparently a piece actually busted off the transmission mount. They gave the piece to my parents when they picked the car up but I won't have a chance to look at it until this weekend.

Any insight into the situation would be appreciated.

-Endo -1998 Contour SVT 17" ADR RS Limited Mase in white with 215/45/17 Kumho 712's -1990 Camaro 355 TPI/5-speed
E
Endo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
Okay, here's the deal. A piece of the transaxle case actually broke off where the mount bolts to the bottom of the transaxle. The piece is still firmly secured to the bolt. Would it be possible to weld this back on with enough strength to be useful? How bad off am I without a tranny mount?

-Endo -1998 Contour SVT 17" ADR RS Limited Mase in white with 215/45/17 Kumho 712's -1990 Camaro 355 TPI/5-speed
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Replace the mount. Period.

A bad mount will eventually destroy the other 3 mounts. Normally sooner rather then later.

It also can damage the axles and transmission.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
But he broke the case demon..

Last edited by svtProdigy; 04/09/05 07:57 PM.

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY CAR TOGETHER! ITS IN DAYTON OHIO! I need the motor together and in the car so i can DRIVE it! Pleeeeeese! diamond pistons for 3.0/forsale #702 of 2150
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Never thought i would see the day that you did not read the whole thread..You can correct me if i am misunderstanding this though...

Last edited by svtProdigy; 04/09/05 08:02 PM.

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY CAR TOGETHER! ITS IN DAYTON OHIO! I need the motor together and in the car so i can DRIVE it! Pleeeeeese! diamond pistons for 3.0/forsale #702 of 2150
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Endo:
Okay, here's the deal. A piece of the transaxle case actually broke off where the mount bolts to the bottom of the transaxle. The piece is still firmly secured to the bolt. Would it be possible to weld this back on with enough strength to be useful? How bad off am I without a tranny mount?

I'd see if you couldn't have it TIG welded back into place before replacing the transaxel all together. It's worth a shot atleast.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
But he broke the case demon..

I did not even catch the second response.

~~~

TIG welding the case might work. However that is still a lot of force on welded cast aluminum.

Most likely you would have to pull the tranny to do a suitable welding job.

On another note.
What caused the ears from the tranmission to break in the first place??? I find it hard to believe the rubber mount was intact but the aluminum case broke. There could be other issues to look at as well.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
E
Endo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
Quote:

On another note.
What caused the ears from the tranmission to break in the first place??? I find it hard to believe the rubber mount was intact but the aluminum case broke. There could be other issues to look at as well.

Are there any specific other issues you have in mind?

I'm not really sure what caused it to break. I noticed that the car sometimes used to shudder slightly when going from a stop or shifting into second, especially under moderate to heavy acceleration, but I never really thought much of it. Now that I know the mount is broken the car doesn't seem to drive much differently so it's possible that's it's been broken since I bought it. The vibrations from the broken engine mount are what caused me to take it in, and I'm guessing the broken tranny mount contributed greatly to that.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
If the mount was broken for a long time it stands to reason the the hard movement of the tranny and then sudden stop at the end of the mount travel could have broken the case. Aluminum fails from fatigue especially cast aluminum. TIG welding aluminum can be pretty strong - from my experience, but I would make sure you found someone that had experience with cast aluminum.

Definitely take the tranny out and appart before you weld it. Aluminum must be thoughly cleaned and prepped before welding. The outside surface of the aluminum oxidises (probably spelled wrong) very quickly and then makes it hard to weld. It should be ground or sanded right before it is welded.

Good Luck

1998 Contour SVT Black w/ Blue interior Torsen LSD updated shiftforks Lightened Flywheel, HD Drivelines Optimized Thottle Body 2003 3.0L engine upgrade (Soon to be)
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
JB Weld. Used it to repair atx internal crack and works great.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard