Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DanB Offline OP
OP Offline
D
In the April 18 issue of USA Today:
web page

I heard about the problem with Toyota engines elsewhere also. Toyota blames the owners, but these same people probably never changed the oil in the old Fords and Chevys also!
BMW seems to indicate that a car can go at least 10K miles on synthetic. Hmmmm.....!

Dan B.
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by DanB:

BMW seems to indicate that a car can go at least 10K miles on synthetic. Hmmmm.....!
Yes, sort of. With the right oil, coupled with really good filtration (air and oil), anyone can go 10k, and more.

"Function before fashion."

'96 Contour SE
B
B
  My sister's husband was telling me about these Mercedes Benz trucks which he used in his business in Holland.  He says that the oil that comes in these trucks from the factory is supposed to last the life of the truck.  The filter is to be changed regularly, but not the oil itself.

{I do hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email address.  Remove the string ?HatesSpam? from the email address ?BobHatesSpam@blaylock.to? to email me.  No advertisements.  Spammers will be dealt with very harshly!}
-------
Moonlight Blue 1996 Mercury Mystique GS , Zetec engine, ATX.  No mods. (Well, OK, one mod.  Before I got rid of my previous car, a 1994 Tempo, I swapped radios.  I liked the Tempo's radio better.  That counts as a mod, doesn't it?  I also kept one of my Tempo's wheels to use as a spare.  I hate those stupid ?compact? spares that come with modern cars.  Does this count as a mod?  If so, I guess I have two mods.  Replaced burned/melted blower switch and connector on 19 February 2002 with a 1P3T toggle switch from Marvac and a Molex connector from Rat Shack; I guess this now makes three mods.)
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by RogerB:
Quote:
[b]
Yes, sort of. With the right oil, coupled with really good filtration (air and oil), anyone can go 10k, and more.[/b]
I concur. I just received my oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. The oil went 10,915 miles with a filter change in the middle. I used Amsoil 5W-30 and their filter as well as the Amsoil oiled foam air filter. At the time of analysis, the engine had 66,945 on it. Up until 20K miles ago I used Valvoline 5W-30 and (shudder) Fram filters. Then I switched over to Mobil 1 for 6 months (~7200 mi) then went to the Amsoil set up. My uncle decided to get a dealership since he was buying it for his work and farm trucks, tractors, etc.

If anyone would like a scanned image of the report, just send me a request @ sheltot@netscape.net

T.

'97 Contour SE 2.5 MTX
W
W
I change my oil every 2000 miles...I like to keep my car happy... smile

1998 Contour SVT E0 Silver Frost
#3623 of 6535 B-day:09/18/97
My CEG Profile
My Car's Website
My Photo Albulm
"Life is full of conflicts; it's the moments of peace that we must cherish"-Me
J
J
One reason a BMW can go 10K on an oil change is 7-8 quarts of oil in the pan.

My Buick holds 4.5 qts, so it is conventional oil every 5K (2 months)

The SVT and the MPV (both 2.5L Duratecs) get changes every 6th months, with Mobil 1. 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. (I'm comfortable with that.) For the Mazda, it's about 5K, for the SVT, it's probably 2.5K miles.

This is just what I do, your mileage may vary.

TB
who just bought 20 quarts of Mobil1 10W30 (Tri-Synthetic formula) for $64 yesterday.

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
D
D
DO NOT forget driving habits play the biggest role in oil change intervals.

You could put 20k highway miles on synthetic and still have it be passable.

However the same oil under aggressive driving & city driving may be at the passable limit at only 5k miles.

Stop and go & high rpm's are the hardest on oil.

With that said; I change my oil 3 times a year:
Once after winter (5 mos/4k), once in the summer (3.5mos/4k), and once before winter (3.5mos/4k)

Since I don't put a ton of miles on my car it's more a time change deal. If I did rack up more miles I would change every 5k.
The Duratec is very harsh on motor oil!

For $18, Blackstone Labs is a good service to use. A good way to keep tabs on your engine and set your change intervals.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
L
L
BMW computes the oil change interval based on factors such as RPMs, temperature, etc. It ranges from 8k to 15k, depending on your driving style.

FWIW, I've put 8k on Mobil 1 without a filter change and it came back with passable marks from Blackstone Labs.

-Louis
1998 Black E0 #3826, lightly modded
R
R
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Yes, sort of. With the right oil, coupled with really good filtration (air and oil), anyone can go 10k, and more.[/b]
And the BMW's are sealed engines. Only BMW dealerships are supposed to change the oil every 10k. I personally don't get how it's air tight, but that's what was said. Makes sense, that if the engine is airtight, no oil changes are necesary for 10k.

1996 Contour SE Red V6 MTX

1995 Contour LX Champaign V6 ATX (my wife's beater)
SuperChip | KKM Intake | Ford Motorsport 9mm Wires | Bosch +4's | Mobil 1 | No Resonator | Knauberized Doors | JSP Custom Wing | Re-wired Fogs | Red Painted Calipers | 98+ Sail Panels | Vuncannon Alarm | Lighted Moonroof Switch | Pioneer Head-unit | Pioneer 6x8's
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Ry Ry:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
And the BMW's are sealed engines. Only BMW dealerships are supposed to change the oil every 10k. I personally don't get how it's air tight, but that's what was said. Makes sense, that if the engine is airtight, no oil changes are necesary for 10k.[/b]
BMW's are "sealed engines?" OK. And I have some white salmon for sale everybody. Guaranteed not to turn pink!

"Function before fashion."

'96 Contour SE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard