Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I doubt any of you remember me, I used to frequent here when I had my '00 SVT...

I did a lot of searching and didn't find anything on this new pump design for later 99 models...

I have a friend that has a 99 (manuf. 8/99, so returnless sysyem) 4 cyl. Contour. She just had the stall/die fuel pump issue happen to her and I (being the nice guy I am and knowing about this board) volunteered to help her out since she'd just dumped some cash into her cars rear brakes at a shop (yeah, I know...)

This has turned into a nightmare because it took some doing to find out that I coulnd't buy just the pump to replace the one in the sending unit/strainer/pump dealio... no one sells that pump by itself.

SO, I ordered a whole new unit from NAPA (strainer/SU/pump) and what showed up was a completely different, new-style top-mounted pump with a new flapper valve for the filler hose, assorted other parts and instructions from Ford as follows:

Fuel Delivery Module Replacement
I.S. SKXS21-9B357-AA
12 pages
dated 05/04

To paraphrase the instructions:
This program replaces the FDM with a new redesigned one, requiring removal of the retaining ring at the bottom of the tank

WTF??? Anyone know of this, it reads like a freaking recall...

I'm lost and about to send her to a shop with this new unit to let them have at it... any help is appreciated. I bought an older pump but it wouldn't fit in the unit like the OEM one, so I gave up and got this monstrosity...

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I don't know about the Napa pump, but the redesigned Ford pump I put in back in December was the same way. You have to use a set of snippers to cut the retaining ring out of the tank, as the new design has springs to keep it sitting on the bottom. I borrowed the snip tool from my dealership (know the parts guys), but a pair of dykes (sp?) will work also. I'm pretty sure all replacement pumps necessitate getting rid of the retaining ring...

Hope this helps,

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I really think this is a Ford pump that Napa's selling. It has very nice Ford branded instructions with no mention of NAPA anywhere.

I'm not going at someone else's tank with a pair of snips... she's just going to have to go to a stealership... maybe they'll cut her a break because the old one's out and she has the part in hand... riiiiiiight

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard