Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1236834 04/05/05 08:55 PM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Andy W.:
From my roomate that lived in LA, he says LA then Washington DC.
-Andy

Yeah since LA county is so big their traffic is probably the worst, but it tends to be pure volume, vehicle breakdowns and accidents that cause delays. The D.C. Metro area is way smaller, however it's subject to all kinds of crap including regular stuff, inclimate weather, and plain poor driving. I was personally stuck in more traffic jams that last 3+ hours than I care to count. I've known people that have gotten stuck for 6+ hours just as many times. Also, it seems that every year the D.C. metro area has at least one 8+ hour traffic jam and a major pile up of some sort every other year.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
#1236835 04/05/05 09:04 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Surprisingly, according to most reports (yes, people actually write papers on this stuff) many of time Top Cities for Traffic are ones that many people wouldn't expect.

Seattle, is actually ranked #2 or #1 (fights with LA for the Title) the last few years. Dallas, which I don't think really is that bad is often ranked in the Top 5, above even DC.

I've lived in both of those cities, and haven't found either to be as bad as LA, even though numerous reports put them close or ahead (in the case of Seattle) of LA in terms of average hours spent in traffic.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1236836 04/05/05 09:26 PM
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
Yeah since LA county is so big their traffic is probably the worst, but it tends to be pure volume, vehicle breakdowns and accidents that cause delays. The D.C. Metro area is way smaller, however it's subject to all kinds of crap including regular stuff, inclimate weather, and plain poor driving. I was personally stuck in more traffic jams that last 3+ hours than I care to count. I've known people that have gotten stuck for 6+ hours just as many times. Also, it seems that every year the D.C. metro area has at least one 8+ hour traffic jam and a major pile up of some sort every other year.

LA county is not that big. Granted, it is larger that the Metro DC area; however the condensed area of LA county where the traffic is (city of Los Angeles, and immediate areas), I do not think to be any larger than the Metro DC area. Also keep in mind, our traffic jams can stretch from Los Angeles to San Diego.

#1236837 04/05/05 09:34 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
In order:

Mexico City, Mexico
Atlanta, GA
Los Angeles, CA
Rome, Italy
Washignton DC
London, England
Paris, France
Houston, TX
Naples, Italy

Mexico City? If your staying in one area, your fine. If you have to drive to the outskirts or in certain areas, it's the biggest damn mess of cars and bikes that I've ever seen.

Atlanta is driving Hell. Rush hour on 285 is enough to make me want to strangle myself. LA is definitely up there, but I've had worse experiences in other places (maybe because I usually stay within OC most of the time); I guess it all depends on where you are coming from and going to.

I've given up driving in most of Europe, unless I'm heading straight to the countryside. Most cities are just jam-packed with cars and NOWHERE to park, and boy do I EVER mean nowhere.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
#1236838 04/05/05 09:47 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Every morning I get to crawl through 7:30AM commuter traffic on I-290. The highway is under construction so three lanes mysteriously become two in two locations - one of which is where Rt. 146 connects to 290 ... basically two highways become two lanes.

My alternatives are Southbridge St., where the left lane is a left-turn-only at one intersection, then the right lane becomes right-turn-only at the next immediate intersection, and continues swapping ... or Rt. 12, which is rather out of the way and takes just as long as sitting in 290 traffic.

I tried to get out of the 8AM classes ... I really did ... all these routes are perfectly fine during non-rush-hour times ...

#1236839 04/05/05 09:57 PM
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
the worst i have ever been in was when i went my sis and her husband to go buy a truck in carson. from our neck of the woods to carson is 45 miles, per Yahoo. it took us FOUR hours to get there!! no major accidents, bomb scares or snow. just tons and tons of cars. i was so pissed. it was a Friday evening and we spent most of it on the damn freeway. on average, it takes me about 3-3.5 hours to drive to San Diego which is 150 miles away.

a few years ago, i went to SEMA with some friends of mine. we took the 10 freeway back to Westchester, by LAX, to go back to my buddy's house where my car was parked. we got to his house at about 11pm. this is maybe about 30 miles from my house. i hopped on the 405 to head home and BAM! i hit a friggin traffic jam at 11pm on a Sunday night! just what i need after a nice loooong ride back from Vegas. the construction crew had cut the freeway down to about two lanes. it took me an hour to get home, which is the time it typically takes to get home from his house during the daytime!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

#1236840 04/05/05 10:05 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Well, gotta love being from Iowa... Only real traffic jam I've been in was in Milwaukee, about 25 mins or so stopped heading back twoard Chicago.

Never driven through Chicago during the day, so can't say on that one. Been in Miami in the afternoon and it was ok.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
#1236841 04/05/05 10:18 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Worst I've experienced is Atlanta by far. I'm moving there next month and really not looking forward to the traffic.

Totalled 99 SE Sport 03 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T APR DPP 93 Octane chip
#1236842 04/05/05 10:23 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Houston is the armpit of the USA.. (no offense.. just sucks to drive there)

LA isn't THAT bad, though it can get hairy in the rain.. the 5 and 101 suck in the morning on the west coast.

D.C isn't THAT bad, though it isn't great.

NYC isn't what I would call traffic... it is congestion. don't ask the difference.. I wouldn't know how to describe it to you, on how I feel. lol

Norfolk, VA, during rush hour at the US's largest naval facility is HELL.. took 3.5 hours to get from the base to 15 miles from the base (snow fall was unexpected) During calmer weather it isn't TOOOOO bad, but it is still stand-still for most of the trip..

Dallas is heavy traffic, but most of the HEAVY traffic is STILL moving at 90+. Wierd feeling to be bumper to bumper and still have to go 85 not to get creamed.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1236843 04/06/05 01:34 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
D.C. period. Even NY traffic moves better.

especially when they close down the interstates to look for the DC Sniper two years ago. that traffic was horrible, made me buy a portable playstation which came in hand twice

"What did you think about that Dorothy girl?" "The whole Judy Garland thing kinda turned me on. That doesn't make me some sort of fag does it? "Nah baby, your money." 98 Black SVT #3560 of 6535
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard