Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
In a recent issue of S3 (Speed, Style & Sound) Magazine I read a very interesting article that concerns a remotely mounting a turbo setup. The article featured a company called STS (Squires Turbo Systems)[url]http://www.ststurbo.com/[/url]......
They featured the remote turbo setup on an LS1 Camaro - Essentially - They removed the big ass muffler setup on the stock Camaro and replaced it with a standard turbo & wastegate setup in which the entire exhaust flow ran through. From there - a nice looking pipe sent the turbocharged flow back up to the front of the car and into the intake just like a standard turbo setup.
Here's where it gets good - due to the placement - the turbo ran nearly 800 degrees cooler then an underhood setup, eliminating the need for an intercooler. The lag was compensated by using a larger turbo then what an underhood setup would use. A small electric oil pump sent engine oil to the turbo for lubrication - as for electronics... I don't know about that one.

Point in case - this is brilliantly simple - why hasn't anyone come up with this idea years ago? No crazy manifolds to make & no underhood fitment issues..... wow - all I can say is I wish I could show you the article but I don't have the magazine in front of me - I will grab it and scan it for you all to read in the next week - I want to do this - I wonder how I could start? I'm in such a rural part of Illinois with no turbo guru's around me.... sigh.

Thoughts?

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Guilty2:
why hasn't anyone come up with this idea years ago?

they did. search the forced iduction section.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Ahhh well dammit.
Reading it now.....

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
also, im not sure what section it was posted in, but i believe a CEGer has visited the shop. i think it was horse or exdelayed, one of the two (eh, it was one of the utah guys, maybe some other one but i want to say it was one of them). the shop is near their home in utah, which is why they wanted to check it out. search for sts in either forced induction or the sw forum, its around here somewhere. . . . . .

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Yes - it was in the "Forced Induction" forum - I searched "remote mount"
Honestly, I forgot about that forum as I rarely visit it - I initially just searched under Duratec Performance.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
glad you found it

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I think it can also be found under 'cat-back turbo'

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I think it can also be found under 'cat-back turbo'

Probably.

It's been brought up several times over the last couple years.

Even the designs I drew on my computer for twin rear turbos date back over a year & a half ago.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
also, im not sure what section it was posted in, but i believe a CEGer has visited the shop. i think it was horse or exdelayed, one of the two (eh, it was one of the utah guys, maybe some other one but i want to say it was one of them). the shop is near their home in utah, which is why they wanted to check it out. search for sts in either forced induction or the sw forum, its around here somewhere. . . . . .

It had to have been Horse, because I have never been there.

Yay! My first post ever in FI.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
IIRC, it was Stilov who'd really looked into the remote mount setup.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard