Print Thread
#1234828 04/03/05 07:34 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I have the 98 CSVT, 126000Km.

Last year I replaced the thermostat, and both temp sensors after my car started "overheating" ever since then the car has always ran just over the half way mark, but overall no issues. Before it always ran just below.

This afternoon I was waiting in the parking lot, my temp started climbing and almost pegged out, I turned on my A/C so that the fans would kick in and then it was fine. I got home and did some troubleshooting and this is what I found. Fans kick in a 3/4 temp, but isnt there suppose to be one that kicks in lower? Other thing I'm questioning is the waterpump as I know this is a common problem, and its about that time. How do I know for sure that this is the issue, I still see rad fluid being circulated in the resevior.

Any comments would be helpful.

Also I read that the Napa metal impellar pumps leak around the shaft, is this the same with all metal impellar designs? Can anyone recommend one that they had a good experience with.

Borla exhaust, Custom intake, KVR Cross drilled rotors, Mil Eliminators, Diablo chip, OMP Strut bar, Urethane motor mount insert, Full rear urethane suspension inserts.
#1234829 04/03/05 07:42 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
beleive the low speed fan runs all the time and the high speed kicks in when the coolant temp hits 212 F

now its up to you but as long as the fans kick in I wouldn't worry about it, the guage isn't calibrated per say so it can only be used as a reference not direct measurment

now with a OBDII scanner the V6 runs around 190 at temp, the thermostat temp and the fans kick in a 212 F and as a side note the timing goes to 0 degrees advance as hit 212 F

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1234830 04/03/05 08:04 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
a completely failed impellar(shattered, etc) will cause the following symptoms:
overheating.
no heat from the vents.

a PARTIALLY broken impellar could cause a "higher" temp than normal, but possibly not pegged. coolant flow would be "reduced" as it went past the heater coilbut not stopped.. so you would have heat, still.

98MY Contours were equipped with the black plastic impellar know to go at around 60,000miles (some last longer, obviously.. there is an exception to everything...)

99 model contours had the revised WHITE plastic impellar.

I have seen 345,847,279,262.00045 counts of failed black plastic impellars..

I can count the failed white ones on one hand.
FWIW: I can count the failed metal impellars on one or two hands, too. (metal shaft leaking runs in most brands.. but not something that I would call COMMON, however still happens..

PERSONALLY: I would use a white plastic one, and be done with it...

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1234831 04/03/05 08:08 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Thx for all the help!

Borla exhaust, Custom intake, KVR Cross drilled rotors, Mil Eliminators, Diablo chip, OMP Strut bar, Urethane motor mount insert, Full rear urethane suspension inserts.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard