Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1231347 03/31/05 01:52 PM
S
OP Offline
S
i have a 98 contour v6, i will drive the car for a few days then it stalls and if i wait awhile it will start back up. something is draining the battery. since this problem started i have replaced the alternator 3 times and the mechanic is telling me its the alternator. what else could it possibly be. someone please help! I havent been able to drive it for a year.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Have you tried disconnecting the harness on the alternator, and then checking to see if the voltage stays level?

I'd try that as it is only two bolts, a 13mm and a 10mm to disconnect it, rather than going through a bucnh of alternators ($$$$$$$$$$ ).

Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed i.e. subs, amps, stereo?

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
OP Offline
S
i will try that, no i dont have any aftermarker electronics installed. thanks

S
OP Offline
S
someone also told me it could be a fuse in the rear of the valve cover? is that possible?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yes it could be that if you are finding that your alternator is never charging the battery> if that is the case your mechanic is a moron for not checking that
Originally posted by speedyb43:
someone also told me it could be a fuse in the rear of the valve cover? is that possible?

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Check the Alternator HOW-TO under Duratec Maintenance for pictures of the MEGAFUSE location.

(It is under the coilpack, and behind the large black plastic wiring harness holder...)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
A blown mega-fuse will prevent the battery from charging. The alternator light will always be on. The engine will start and all electrical accessories will operate - as long as the battery has a good charge (not too long usually).

On common way of blowing the mega-fuse is to connect the battery backwards or to connect jumper cables backwards.

The fuse has a big strip of metal that is easy to see and check if it is blown. It is located behind the rear valve cover - look for thick cables running behind the engine

If this is the problem, it basically means your mechanic is incompetent in the extreme.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
I hope you aren't having to pay everytime the mechanic looks at the car ... That would get quite expensive!

As everyone has mentioned, I'd check the fuse. I'd also check the cigarette lighter. I've seen before where a wrapper from a piece of chewing gum was stuck in there and caused a slow, and aggrivating, battery drain.

Tim

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard