Print Thread
#1230270 03/30/05 01:17 PM
E
egrau Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Ford dealership has recently told me I have to replace the speed sensor and 3 catalytic convertors (clogged)for $2500. I have a 98 SVT with 90,000 miles (emissions warranty gone).
Well I dont have that kind of $$$ right now and I need a temporary fix until I can save up to replace. So after some research, I think gutting the precats is the best way to go. I havent really seen any info on gutting the main cat (as it is clogged also).
Is gutting the main cat possible?, bad for the car?
Is gutting the cats myself hard? (i have no experience working with exhaust systems and very little working on cars in general)

thanks for any help, info
-eric

98 SVT Stock for now
#1230271 03/30/05 02:45 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
First off, why are they saying you need all of that?? What did you take it in for? I'd bet if you still had the warranty they wouldn't be changing all of that! Chances are it's just O2 sensors, but can't say with out more details.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
#1230272 03/30/05 02:46 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The precats are $$$ because they're integrated into the exhaust manifolds. Gutting is a good route, but you've gotta be patient so you don't kick any material up into your engine - or do it off the car to be safe. MIL eliminators must be purchased & instlled by YOU to get rid of the CEL. Not difficult, search for a good source on these boards & the net. Another choice is to purchase modded manifolds & have them bolted on. You can get them cheap, then do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined, or hire it done for a couple hundred. Again, MIL eliminators by U will be needed.

The main cat: You can get a hi-flow unit from just about any muffler shop installed for well under $200, shop around and stay away from Meineke - they're usually over priced & the last few that have dealt with their chain have gotten very bad advice & products. You'll still be smog legal with a main cat once the engine is warm.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1230273 03/30/05 03:01 PM
E
egrau Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
I am pretty sure the dealer is right about my problem. Car feels like it hads lost litteraly HALF the horsepower. I noticed it instantly when things went bad.

98 SVT Stock for now
#1230274 03/30/05 03:19 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I can understand the pre-cats getting clogged up, but I would be weary of the main cat being clogged.

Personally, I would go get a second opinion, mate, just to be sure.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
#1230275 03/30/05 06:02 PM
S
S
You may have already covered this ...but did you check for recalls? I don't know about 98 models but my 96 has one for for the Catalytic Convertor. You can check via your VIN# at this link.

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/recalls/default.htm

#1230276 03/31/05 03:44 AM
E
egrau Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
....no recalls listed (for cats)

98 SVT Stock for now
#1230277 04/04/05 08:21 PM
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by egrau:
Ford dealership has recently told me I have to replace the speed sensor and 3 catalytic convertors (clogged)for $2500. I have a 98 SVT with 90,000 miles (emissions warranty gone).
Well I dont have that kind of $$$ right now and I need a temporary fix until I can save up to replace. So after some research, I think gutting the precats is the best way to go. I havent really seen any info on gutting the main cat (as it is clogged also).
Is gutting the main cat possible?, bad for the car?
Is gutting the cats myself hard? (i have no experience working with exhaust systems and very little working on cars in general)

I'm a novice mechanic and I did my own precat gut job. It's mostly just a very dirty and tedious job, especially if you do it with the manifolds still in place. At my skill level, removing the manifolds from the engine was not a realistic option. Then you just need a pair of MIL eliminators to get your CEL off. Don't give that dealer/sheister $2500! If you decide to gut the manifolds in place, make SURE you wear a mask over your entire face!!!!!!! Can't stress that enough. You'll be lying under your car with catalyst material raining down upon you. Before reattaching the y-pipe, shake any loose cat material out of it. If your precats are disintegrating, some of the material has definitely lodged in your main cat. GL.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard