#1230055 03/30/05 04:22 AM
S
Skewer Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hi,

I have a 2000 SVT. The car misses intermittantly when the rpms are between 2k-3k and when throttle is 75% or greater. After 3k it revs just fine, even at full throttle. It doesn't seem to matter how much fuel is in the tank. I've also removed the bottom filter and cleaned the main filter sock for the fuel pump, no help. I've checked the plugs and wires and coil pack. The pack and wires checked out okay with my meter. The plugs look normal, no excessive wear or discoloration. The car has 73k and the plugs / wires are about 3yrs old. The wires are the ford racing ones and the plugs are autolite dp's.

I've never gotten a cel and I think the car has only stalled out once or twice in the past 8 months. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I've checked the tps with my meter and it was within tolerance as well.

The only mods I have, related to the drivetrain, are kkm intake and the plug wires.

Thanks!

Tim

#1230056 03/30/05 04:33 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Jeezbus.. 73K on the plugs...

3 year old wires..

where to start? you said no unusual COLOR... you checked the gap, I assume? (.054) The rear bank (back three) tend to wear nearly twice as fast due to waste spark ignition system in this car.

If you replace them, use only OEM Motorcraft, or Autolite Double plats (part number is "APP764") (DOUBLE PLATS!!!)... I'll say it again.. DOUBLE PLATS... not +4, not singles, not fine wire... double plats..

OEM motorcraft wires are preferred, though ford racing wires (9mm) work well, most of the time, too.. some light dremeling is required to the wire holders to get them to snap in to them, though.. (free, and quick..)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1230057 03/30/05 04:41 AM
S
Skewer Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Ray:
Jeezbus.. 73K on the plugs...

3 year old wires..

where to start? you said no unusual COLOR... you checked the gap, I assume? (.054) The rear bank (back three) tend to wear nearly twice as fast due to waste spark ignition system in this car.

If you replace them, use only OEM Motorcraft, or Autolite Double plats (part number is "APP764") (DOUBLE PLATS!!!)... I'll say it again.. DOUBLE PLATS... not +4, not singles, not fine wire... double plats..

OEM motorcraft wires are preferred, though ford racing wires (9mm) work well, most of the time, too.. some light dremeling is required to the wire holders to get them to snap in to them, though.. (free, and quick..)

Ray

Hi Ray,

Let me be a little more clear. The car has 73k. The wires and plugs were replaced about 3yrs ago. I'd say they have 15-20k on them, max. The wires are the 9mm ford racing wires and the plugs are the autolite double plat's. I last checked all the plug gap's, when I was testing out the wires and coil pack. The gap's on the rear were a little wider than the front, but I regapped all the plugs back to the 0.054 mark.
The problem to me seems to be related with a spark issue, moreso than a fuel issue. Is it possible that a plug or wire could be failing intermittantly? Even when they pass a bench test?

Thanks!

Tim

#1230058 03/30/05 06:03 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
intermittent shudder at part throttle could be intermittent coilpack failure, or perhaps fuel spray discrepancies from an injector..

Late night.. let me get some rest and come back fresh(er)....

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1230059 03/30/05 10:08 PM
S
Skewer Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I have a question regarding the coilpack. I tested it at normal outdoor temperature. Would it make a difference if I put it in a thermal reduction unit (ie: freezer) then tested it? What about if I heated it up in the oven first? I'm thinking the coilpack might be the culprit, but would like some more insight before I replace it.
Thanks!

Tim

#1230060 04/05/05 12:00 AM
S
Skewer Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Bump

Tim

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1