Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93658 08/06/02 01:04 AM
G
OP Offline
G
On my crossovers, it goes WOOFER [out + -] [in + -] and TWEETER [out + -] [in + -] so there are two +'s and -'s for input from my amp. So how do you I connect those to my amp which has just the [+ -] for channel 1?

16 guage speaker wire is plenty thick enough for my components...right? Woofer runs at 50wRMS at 4 ohms, tweeter 40wRMS at 6 ohms and my amp is 65x4. I'm putting the crossovers in the trunk with the amp so I'm running two speaker wires to each door for the woofer/tweeter.

As always, TIA.

I would run in parallel, that is + amp to + of tweeter in and woofer in and - amp to - tweeter in and woofer in. This leaves the other 2 channels for a sub or rear speaker.

You could also run one of the four channels to each speaker.

Either way you end up with about the same power to each speaker, depending on whether or not your amp doubles power into 2 ohms (or 4*6/6+4 ohms).

Some amps are not as stable into 2 ohms and most amps have more noise into 2 ohms. If the amp is stable into 2 ohms the noise should not be an issue. If the amp can't drive 2 ohms stereo I would buy another or run each channel to 1 speaker.

G
OP Offline
G
I plan on eventually getting a sub for channel 3 and 4 once more money trickles in, so I'd like to just use the two channels.

It says, 80x4 at 2ohms for the amp...so I should wire them in parallel, but if there is noise, should I try wiring them in series? Worse case scenario I have to use all four channels for the components I guess.

About 40 watts a speaker should be nice.

If you run Series you will see even less watts and about 10 ohms nominal at your amp.

Most amps are stable to about 16 ohms, but I nominally don't drive an amp with anything greater than 8 ohms or less than 2 ohms.

I have no experience on what will happen with 10 ohms on an amp optimized for 4 ohms. You should be ok but LACK volume (SPL) at 10 ohms series wiring.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard