Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dickmc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'd appreciate your comments on this proposed system. I am looking to fill low end, get a bit of punch, for rock, pop, jazz, little rap. No window shaking, no waking neighbors, no competiton just noticeably better base than present set up. Presently have Pioneer DEH7300 HU and doors have Pioneer 3 ways. Will put the sub box w driver and amp in the trunk facing back. Do you think I will I get what I want from this set up with seats up and volume cranked to one third?

All comments or suggestions for improvements most appreciated.

DickMc
98.5 SE V6 MTX
Virtually Stock
Pioneer DEH-7300 Head Unit
P
P
I think if your are going to go the way of a box in the trunk you might as well put a 10" sub in it. I have one ten in my trunk and it sounds pretty good with one of the back seats down, but when I put the seat up it muffles the bass quite a bit, and I think with an 8" and the seats up all the time, you might be a bit disapointed and wished you had gone with a 10". plus, a 10" isn't really going to take up any more space than an 8' because you can get something that will work in a .66 cu. ft. box which is very small. Thats the size I have in my trunk, however it is placed behind my amp rack. Here's a link to show you, I still have plenty of trunk space.

http://www.pbase.com/image/3548119

Vinny " 2000 T-RED CSVT "
MODS: KKM
SHO-SHOP OFFROAD Y-PIPE
NO RES
S
S
A single 8" sub in a box in the trunk will be a bit hard pressed to produce "noticeably better bass."

I'd also recommend using a 10" sub. The box will be marginally larger (some 10s will even work in the same .4ft^3 required by the 8W3), make better use of the amp's power (usually more efficient), have lower bass extension, and easily produce the bass levels you're describing.

If you're absolutely set on using JL Audio equipment, I'd suggest getting a 10W6. It'll operate in a .4ft^3 sealed box and can take 300w of power. Just make sure your amp is stable with a 3ohm mono load (the dual 6ohm coils on the 10W6 wired in parallel).

If you're open to other drivers (unknowns and underground), there are pleanty of options that will outperform a comparative JL sub for less money. Just post your budget for some suggestions.

1999 SVT #900/2760
Born on 1-20-99
Silver Frost/Midnight Blue
A few aesthetic and audio mods

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard