Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93540 07/31/02 08:58 AM
S
Spuddin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Aight, I am new to the forums and just got a 99 mystique. No mods or anything. I am gonna mod it and want to start by adding a system. I am only 16 and on budget. I already have the head unit and 4 6x9's for the doors. I ****ed wit it and i cant find out how to take the **** off to get to the stock unit. How to I go about doing this? Anything will help and some pics would be great.

#93541 07/31/02 09:37 AM
D
D
They sell the part at sears or other places that sell car audio things. They look like deformed U's. You stick them in the holes on the sides. there are a total of 4 holes.. 2 on each side. You can searching the car audio forums. They might have better detail than i can give.

Give me more beer and CEG before i get depressed!

AIM/AOL: DBZ Jr
#93542 07/31/02 11:00 AM
K
Kyo Offline
K
Quote:
Originally posted by Spuddin:
Aight, I am new to the forums and just got a 99 mystique. No mods or anything. I am gonna mod it and want to start by adding a system. I am only 16 and on budget. I already have the head unit and 4 6x9's for the doors. I ****ed wit it and i cant find out how to take the **** off to get to the stock unit. How to I go about doing this? Anything will help and some pics would be great.
1st: sorry about the bad english... :p

You have to use those special tools mentioned above, or you can make your own with a wire coathanger.

Cut two 8-10 inch pieces, and bend them so that they can enter the two holes on each side of your original HU. Don't get them too far in - all the way in first, and then back just a little. The loops of the two "U"s should be pointing a little to each other, to the inside that is.

Now apply pressure on the loops from the inside, towards the exterior of the car on each side. Now you have to pull on the "tools" so that the HU slides out of the dash. It takes patience, and sometimes a third hand..

I did it with the coathanger trick, I wasn't able to find the "official" tools locally. The wires are used to release spring clips that lock the HU in its location. When you push towards the outside, you are releasing the clips. I had to pull on the HU itself while applying the pressure on the wires..

Don't be cheap, and go buy the wiring harness that will allow you to plug into the original plugs on your car! You'll be glad you did.

Kyo

97 Mystique
ATX Duratec
I LOOOVE IT!
#93543 07/31/02 02:34 PM
S
S
even easier than making it out of a hanger, just find 4 nails that will fit in the holes, stick them in there carefully (dont worry too much though, its just popping out a metal tab), then pull both of the ones on the left out a bit slowly, then the right, keep wiggling either side out a bit like this, and in 10 seconds youll have your HU out.

hope i helped

#93544 07/31/02 03:16 PM
J
J
Hey I have a 99 mystique with a pretty nice system in it...here is how I got mine off...just undo the 4 screws that are under the stock deck and above where the cup holders are. Then you just pull the thing out. Granted the other way was easier, but I decided to do it this way anyhow. Definitely get the wiring harness, and if you have the premium sound with the factory amp you are going to have some fun smile Also you are going to have to do some slight mods to get the 6x9's to work, but its not a big deal. Just take your time and do it right.

99 Mercury Mystique Red (toredor) ATX 2.5 V6. Stock right now excluding sound system.

Sound System:
Alpine CDA-7864
Infinity Kappa Components 5.25
Infinity Kappa 5x7's (rear)
2 12" JBL Power Series Subs
Rockford Fosgate 160a2 (interior)
Crunch 4004C (Sub Amp)
Phoenix Gold Power Wire, Fuse Holder, Distribution Blocks, Speaker Wire, and RCA's.

Future Mods: KKM intake
Indiglo HVACS and gauges (hopefully SVT)
SVT exhaust
Stock SVT wheels
Body Kit?
email if selling any of these items.
#93545 07/31/02 04:44 PM
D
D
You could either do all that or take the whole console/dash apart like I did when I got my GL. I didn't know what those four squares were for.

Silver E1
I'm afraid Speed Demon has given me the mod bug.
AIM: Davo7Wins

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard