Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I am attempting to do the lighted power moonroof switch mod. and cannot get the switch to light up. It appears to be the correct switch (I got it from Tim at Signature Lincoln Mecury) and has all the correct connections. I am also using the D79 connector. The switch works to open and close the moonroof, but does not light despite what wire I touch the D79 connector to. The only difference my switch has from the one pictured in the "How To" section is that it has three prongs on the bottom row versus two. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong or is the switch bad?

Originally posted by LUCA:
Yep. You can be Phil too if you'd like.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Maybe they sold you the wrong switch ? Does it have the same part # on it (as the # listed in the How-To) ?

I don't remember how many connectors mine had when I did it (a while back) , but I remember there was no doubt how it hooked up , as I followed the How-To .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I won one at last years SZ installed it per the how to and it didn't light either. I'm glad I wasn't the only one having this issue.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
When I did the mod, I grabbed a door window switch from a 1995 contour.

When I was installing it, I noticed that when only adding 1 extra wire to the switch, it would not light. So I opened up the switch with some small flat screwdrivers and discovered that the LED used a seperate power and ground all for itself. If you open the switch, you can follow the wires down to the bottom and identify which tab is for power and which for ground.

In my case I had to add not only a connector for power, but one for ground as well. I believe that when you say "3 prongs on the bottom," you're in the same boat as me...the extra bottom prong is power or ground (not sure which one off the top of my head).

It seems ford had 2 different designs for the switch, must have saved $.0001/per unit by eliminating the prong later on.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
So, what would be a good ground? I was thinking I could use the single wire connector on the overheard console light, but am not positive if that is the ground. I do know that none of overhead console lights work if that connector is not plugged in, even if the two wire connector is. Or, is the other wire on the two wire connector a ground that I could use?

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I tapped power and ground from the same harness that connects to the switch. The black wire is ground, not sure on colors for power, a voltmeter would aid in identification...or just connect wire and see what works.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Man , I must've gotten lucky . I just bought the switch & connector at the dealer , hooked it up as-per How-To & it worked 100% right out of the box ! Ya-hoo for me !! It's about time .

I hope you get it straightened out , it's pretty cool .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I'm going to try some of the suggestions and keep my fingers crossed. However, it does seems that I should be able to get it to work, it's just a matter of finding the right wires to connect.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
yes you can use a pre 98 switch if you like, you do need to supply power and ground

from my experience with the install the how to is adding a ground to make the led work, with the pre 98 switch the light has its own powere and ground. so all you have to do is connect those to the power and ground in the sunroof switch harness and you are good to go.

I will try to scan the pin out from the 95 wiring book that I have

also I remeber talking to hmounta about the lighted switch and he ordered one, or one from an explorer and it was like the pre 98 switch, either way he didn't get the right one the first time either

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by brapple:

... from my experience with the install the how to is adding a ground to make the led work ...

I added nothing , along with many others that did this mod in the past . Maybe Ford recently changed the switch ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard