Next Thread
Print Thread
#1218102 03/17/05 05:32 PM
X
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
X
My original fuel pump died less than a year ago and I replaced it with the Focus SVT pump. I took out the circular mesh filter in the bottom of the tank as suggested and cleaned and reused the sock filter from the original pump. I am starting to get a high-rpm hesitation again which were the early warning signs for the fuel pump failing last time. Has anyone else experienced this so quickly after changing to the Focus fuel pump? I'm hoping to pull it out soon and check that the sock filter is not getting clogged. I'll change the fuel filter again while I'm at it. If I've overlooked anything, let me know.

Matt 2000 SVT Toreador #1210 of 2150
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Could be the IMRC fluttering. It's a known problem as well.

Is the hesitation happening only with low fuel levels or all the time?

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
X
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
X
It is intermitent, but seems to happen at any fuel level. I guess this would indicate that the IMRC could be the problem. Again, thanks for the info Demon.

#1218105 03/21/05 02:20 AM
X
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
X
I drove to VA this weekend to visit my parents. It's about a 270 mile trip. The car did fine until I was just about there and is started hesitating at low rpm's and even stalled once. While in VA, I pulled the fuel pump quick and was surprised at what I found. The inside of the pump housing had quite a bit of sediment in it and the sock filter was absolutely filthy. It appears that I got some very bad gas somewhere recently. I cleaned the filter and pump housing with Berryman's and checked the tank for any more foreign material. I drove back today and didn't have a single problem with it; there were no hesitations at any fuel level or any rpm. So, it appears that the problem is fixed. I wish I had some way of determining what gas station I got the bad tank from.

On a side note, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't get gas from a station if a fuel truck is making a delivery; the reasoning is that the new fuel being delivered to the station stirs up sediment in the tanks for a short time. This then makes it into your gas tank. I don't know if there is much truth to that or not, but I'll assume so if it might lengthen my fuel pump removal intervals.

Just thought I would give an update.

#1218106 03/21/05 03:00 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by xdouble:
I drove to VA this weekend to visit my parents. It's about a 270 mile trip. The car did fine until I was just about there and is started hesitating at low rpm's and even stalled once. While in VA, I pulled the fuel pump quick and was surprised at what I found. The inside of the pump housing had quite a bit of sediment in it and the sock filter was absolutely filthy. It appears that I got some very bad gas somewhere recently. I cleaned the filter and pump housing with Berryman's and checked the tank for any more foreign material. I drove back today and didn't have a single problem with it; there were no hesitations at any fuel level or any rpm. So, it appears that the problem is fixed. I wish I had some way of determining what gas station I got the bad tank from.

On a side note, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't get gas from a station if a fuel truck is making a delivery; the reasoning is that the new fuel being delivered to the station stirs up sediment in the tanks for a short time. This then makes it into your gas tank. I don't know if there is much truth to that or not, but I'll assume so if it might lengthen my fuel pump removal intervals.

Just thought I would give an update.

i think you should be fine if you cleaned it, i also heard that if you get gas from the bottom of the tank you will get mostly water and sediment...

Mark 1998 T-Red SVT -Needs more Go 1999 Light Prairie Tan, Se Zetec www.cardomain.com/id/tour4reak
#1218107 03/22/05 01:52 PM
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by xdouble:

Ive heard that too! Im on my 3rd pump in the Se and for that reason alone I will not fillup at the stations when they are delivering a tank of fuel. I also never let my tank drop below a 1/3.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
#1218108 03/22/05 02:10 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by XKontour98:
I also never let my tank drop below a 1/3.

I think that is pretty important. The biggest thing there is condensation. If you have it empty all the time, you get a lot of water in your tank.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results

Link Copied to Clipboard