Next Thread
Print Thread
#1216681 03/16/05 04:37 AM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
can anyone tell me why only the defrost works even if I put it on vent or floor they all come out the defrost, even a/c. any ideas or solutions? thanks.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Well I think it is probably the vacuum switch. It selects between different vacuum solenoids that open doors to let air flow in. So if the switch is broken it won't switch the solenoids to close the defrost and open the main vents. My topaz did this.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
What did you do?

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I sold the car this way But just get the HVAC position switch on the dash from a wrecking yard and swap it in. Make sure that the switch is getting vacuum when the engine is on cus this could also cause the problem.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by 96mercury:
Well I think it is probably the vacuum switch. It selects between different vacuum solenoids that open doors to let air flow in. So if the switch is broken it won't switch the solenoids to close the defrost and open the main vents. My topaz did this.

Hence this is the reason why you hear a "hiss" when you switch to another selection.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
'Scuse me. Could be just the vac tubes are un-plugged. Can happen, especially if you've got big feet. Try to look behind the HVAC controls somehow & see if you can determine if anything has come unplugged.

I've seen at least 2 posts about this.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1216687 03/18/05 02:10 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
'Scuse me. Could be just the vac tubes are un-plugged. Can happen, especially if you've got big feet. Try to look behind the HVAC controls somehow & see if you can determine if anything has come unplugged.

I've seen at least 2 posts about this.

Yep. Stick your head up under the over the gas pedal and check for a loose line at the vacuum motor. If it is good, you will need to trace the source vacuum line from the HVAC control head through the firewall for the intake manifold port.

If the HVAC system looses vacuum, it defaults airflow to the defroster vents.

Steve

PS. Consider yourself fortunate. I had typed almost this whole thing before I noticed the MAJOR annoyance in your thread title....

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
#1216688 03/23/05 09:16 AM
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
im all about the simple explination

LINKY

cardomain 98 Contour SE zetec I-4

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard