Next Thread
Print Thread
#1216407 03/15/05 09:43 PM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Im going to be purchasing some automotive parts from the states off Ebay. Does customs charge me if the parts are used? What are the duty fees and such?

Im new to purchasing parts from the states- any help/websites would be appreciated...

Derek

1999 Ford Contour SE (Black) S&B Powerstack Air Filter Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust System (Loud Setup) Sylvania SilverStar Headlight Bulbs MSN Messenger: ddasilva99@hotmail.com
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Shipping from the states is a pain in the a$$. If you can get them to ship it Fedex air or USPS air you most likely won't get dinged for anything.

Everyone in the USA LOVES UPS and they ship everything with it. And even if Canada customs doesn't charge you duty or taxes they will charge you brokerage for just looking at it. From now on I try to avoid getting anything from the US. I hate UPS. Nothing but trouble.

Just my two cents, Enjoy.

Brian W.
--------------------
Black 1998 SE 5 speed - TOTALLED
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Airmail, Airmail, Airmail.....
Never ground ship it!!!!!!!!!

and have the sender put on the customs form it's a GIFT!!!!!!!
Most US power sellers on Ebay know this routine, but check with them. I've never paid duty on any ebay purchases.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
hmm.. risky behaviour considering the reciprocity between countries and not at all possible if you're buying from a company. Get caught - 1st offence $1000 (and possible criminal record).

Personally, wouldn't counsel anyone in a public forum to commit an illegal act. Not a misdomeanor btw, it's on a federal level, called smuggling.

Then again, I've seen many penalties issued by Rev.Can for just this type of thing and even seen a few do jail time. GAWD, aren't I just the doomsayer? HAHAHA CBSA is the 2nd highest Authority in the country (CSIS is 1st).

L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Get it shipped to the UPS Store in Niagara Falls (Military Rd) and then go for a visit crossing at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge. It's only about an hour drive from Brampton and is only 5 minutes into the US. Claim it if you want for the GST, but the rest s/b nil. Do some shopping across the street for cheap and next thing you know you and the g-friend have made a day of it ...

98.5 SVT now gone ... new wheels = 2005 330i
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
If the product was made in the usa, or mexico I think...you don't pay duty. Part of the free trade agreement. Anywhere else and you pay it, not sure what the percentage is. I know someone that gets the person to lable it a gift, but they caught on to her eventually. It may work for you though if the seller is willing to do it.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by dutchie:
If the product was made in the usa, or mexico I think...you don't pay duty. Part of the free trade agreement. Anywhere else and you pay it, not sure what the percentage is. I know someone that gets the person to lable it a gift, but they caught on to her eventually. It may work for you though if the seller is willing to do it.

Only SOME things are covered, one must go to the library and look up in the Customs Duty book what they are bringing in. Then send the shipper the customs # for the type of item. Then the best rate will apply, otherwise some lazy A$$ just picks a # out of the air...ie:Bathroom deoterizer(the kind in the auto despenser in public toilets) can in listed as perfume - a higher rate.
UPS and other companies tack a large amount on for Brokerage fees - I've had to pay $23 on a $10 item....auurgh..plus the incorrect cutoms item number....oh you can complain and fill out the forms and call back and send e-mails and........then just swallow it....damn.

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard