Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
well, i wish i could say "it's been fun while it lasted", but buying my '04 G35c last spring has proven to be quite the regrettable decision.

the highlights:

-- trouble filling gas tank since day 1; two gas tanks, one sending unit, one filler neck, and 2 1/2 accumulated weeks in rental cars later, it *might* be fixed.

-- more rattles, squeaks, creaks, and buzzes than a parking lot full of 5-year old kia's: the roof creaks when i turn into my driveway or drive across any bumps at an angle; the rearview mirror electrical plug buzzes like a distant honeybee when the car is in motion; plus a dozen other various and sundry random noises here and there

-- odd "clunking" noises when transitioning from reverse to 1st to finish turning into my garage

and the biggie: the dealership experience. i can live with niggling problems w/ the car as long as the service department is actively and sincerely working to resolve my problems - shoot, i was on a first-name basis w/ my ford SA when i had my CSVT - but the goons down at my local infiniti dealer give smart-butt answers to legitimate questions and patently refuse to return phone calls or do anything to actively help the customer. add damages to the car to the general unpleasantness w/ the staff and you have a real winning recipe.

the first time i took the car in for the gas tank problem (short version - i couldn't put gas in the car when it got as low as 1/4 tank due to the vapor shut-off system thinking the tank is full), it came out w/ acid-etched paint behind the rear wheel. they first said it would be under warranty; then when they got together w/ their body shop guy it suddenly became something that i "drove through" on the interstate. my word against theirs - as ludicrous as it sounds that i've been surrounded by exploding batteries on my commute each day, there was no way to prove that they did anything and i didn't have the energy to fight 'em at the time due to work and other issues.

the second time i took the car in for the gas tank, it came back washed and shiny - but they apparently washed it w/ a long-handled broom of some kind (as i witnessed them doing to another car) and left hairline swirl marks and scratches in the clearcoat.

the third time i took it in for the gas tank, they chipped the paint off the rear brembos when reinstalling the rear wheels.

anyway - those are just some highlights; there are other issues that would seem to indicate the car is cursed - parking lot bump 6 weeks after i got it left two hexagonal imprints from a tag bracket into the rear bumper; rear tire destroyed by a possessed nail at 5k miles; tire installers scratching the rim(s) replacing the tire; a shower of rocks from a freshly asphalt-embedded steel plate making their marks on the front bumper and windshield last fall; etc....

all that frustration led me toward thoughts of ditching the car starting way back in november. i started looking at a mazda 6s 5-door; then got to thinking about a truck...then an SUV...then back to the land of the 5-door via mazda 3 SP23 special edition. after a couple deals fell through, i decided that i had it pretty good last year when i had a jeep grand cherokee 4x4 and a miata, and a mid-size SUV will come in very handy when moving my fiancee's stuff to my house in the next couple months....so today i'm trading my '04 G35c on an '02 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4.

the yakima bike rack from my last JGC will go on the roof this weekend, and the front windows will be tinted to match the rears within a week or two most likely. tow hooks and skid plates will be coming shortly (which it didn't come w/ - gotta have those!), and larger, more aggressive tires will also be on the menu.

i purposely limited my budget this time around (much lower than G35c $$) so that i can get another miata within a year - i miss my old one, and the new 3rd-gen miatas are looking -worthy.

so, there ya go - JVT, time for you to start w/ the "i told you so's" and the cracks on how long i'll keep this jeep and if i can keep it longer than the last one.

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
let's get CEG n00bs up to date here with this long ago CSVT owner. since the csvt he's been looking for love in all the wrong (and many) places LOL! help me out with the model year and timeframe here blake...

98.5 CSVT owner through ~Spring 2002? then:
'02 RSX
'03 JGC
'00 EO Miata
'03 G35c
'02 JGC

that about right?

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Sounds liek me, too. I've had three cars since my last csvt... couldn't find the love.. but it'l be back this month!

I had-
2002 Buick regal (beautiful but not fun)
2004 Saab 9-3 Aero 5 speed tubro (leased for three weeks, gave to aunt- POS!)
2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (for sale)

all in the last year.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
its a shame you hafta get rid of it, those are dammn fine cars

Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Sounds like a bad dealership. A friend of mine has a G35C and he raves about the service from our local Infinity dealership.

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
let's get CEG n00bs up to date here with this long ago CSVT owner. since the csvt he's been looking for love in all the wrong (and many) places LOL! help me out with the model year and timeframe here blake...

98.5 CSVT owner through ~Spring 2002? then:
'02 RSX
'03 JGC
'00 EO Miata
'03 G35c
'02 JGC

that about right?

eh, you're close...
98.5 CSVT = 8/98 - 10/01
02 RSX-S = 10/01 - 11/02
00 JGC = 11/02 - 3/04
00 miata = 8/03 - 4/04
04 G35c = 4/04 - 3/05
02 JGC = 3/05 - ???

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

yeah, i won't say won't ever buy another nissan/infiniti product because i do honestly think i just got a bad one, but that doesn't excuse the dealership experience - so if an infiniti is ever in my future again it'll be when it can be serviced at a different dealership. right now, the 2nd-closest one is 90 minutes away, and given the problems i had w/ mine - i need one closer than that!

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by blake:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

yeah, i won't say won't ever buy another nissan/infiniti product because i do honestly think i just got a bad one, but that doesn't excuse the dealership experience - so if an infiniti is ever in my future again it'll be when it can be serviced at a different dealership. right now, the 2nd-closest one is 90 minutes away, and given the problems i had w/ mine - i need one closer than that!

I heard there was a sh!t ton of problems with those...get the new mazdaspeed miata!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Can you say "turbo Miata?" And I'm not talking about a Mazdaspeed factory-wimpy turbo, I'm talking 250-300 hp at the wheels with daily driver reliability. Easily done with a 1st generation Miata, especially a '95 OBDI car. I'm especially partial to the 95M with the 15" forged BBS wheels, Merlot paint and tan seats with separate headrests. Then there's the '93C package black and tan with 14" forged BBS wheels (I had a set of those on my '96 - feather light and classic good looks), the '92 BRG, the Sunburst Yellow cars... The second generation cars are much more comfortable but don't take to modding as easily. I also really like the '99 10AE, but you have to be careful of the '99s with the motor issues they had, though most will have had that worked out by now.

If you want new with warranty I'd probably wait for the (I can't believe I'm saying this) Pontiac Solstace to hit the market. For just under $20k it looks like a lot of car for the money, and I bet a lot more power can be gotten out of the 2.4 liter motor than GM sends them from the factory with.

I really do need to pick up another cheap Miata one of these days. I'm in serious withdrawal.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Get an RX-8 and rent a U-haul when you need to move stuff. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard