Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
klui Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Does anyone know the implications of NOT paying a speeding ticket from Canada? I was told the only state that shares info wih Canada is New York and I happen to be a resident of that state. Is it true my license will get suspended and I will not be allow back into Canada if I don't pay the summon? What about insurance rates? Will my insurance company be notified or have access to such information?

The ticket was issued in the Quebec province. Has this happened to anyone else? I really don't want to pay as the amount is a hefty one. However if the consequences includr suspensed license, barred from Canada and increase insurance rates, I may just have to choke it up.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
just keep moving :0)

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Just claim that you don't feel that the Canadian government has any authority to issue you a ticket.

K
klui Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Heck...I'm with you guys in wanting to just discard the ticket but what about the written law?!

Does anyone know what the law says?

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
In regards to entering Canada
Originally posted by Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs:
Those who have received TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS (including parking/speeding tickets, etc.) and other minor violations (i.e. littering, etc.) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada.

In regards to the ticket being on your record, Ontario is reciprocal with New York, so the ticket will eventually end up on your New York record. And once it ends up on your NY record your insurance company will have access to it as well. They likely won't even pull your record though unless you move or get a new car.

If you were in any other State, or the offense was in any other province, you'd be perfectly fine. You just happened to pick the right combination to get screwed over.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
you do know that you don't have car insurance when you go into Canada unless you get a form from your insurance agency saying they will cover you in Canada?

I didn't but found out when going to SZ04, luckyl before hand

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I live in Washington State and received a ticket in Quensel BC in 2001. It was for 130 in an 80...kilmoeters of course. The ticket was almost $200 Canadian, and I didn't pay it for quite a while. I did lots of research then and found that they couldn't get my license suspended or put it on my drivng record at all. I did finally pay it six or seven months later because I wanted to have the ability to go back without getting arrested. I love Vancouver BC!

My suggestion is call the state police for the state you live in and ask. If they tell you what you want to hear (or not) ask them to cite the law or code it refers to. You could also contact a lawyer, but they're likely to want $20-$50 just to do the research for you. I did both of these and found what I needed.

Good luck!

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
just ignore it, it's CANADA!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by svt4stv:
just ignore it, it's CANADA!

Silly Mooses, always writing tickets.

Havent had the pleasure of driving in Canada - what did they chase you down with and what kind of radar did you get hit with? Im well over 1000 miles away from them so I higly doubt ever going to Canada - shoot I've been in NY for the total of 25 minutes before leaving.

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I think it's funny that a ticket you get in canada will show up on your NY driving record, but a ticket you get in NJ or most other states, for that matter, will not.

Originally posted by sigma:
In regards to entering Canada
Originally posted by Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs:
Those who have received TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS (including parking/speeding tickets, etc.) and other minor violations (i.e. littering, etc.) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada.

In regards to the ticket being on your record, Ontario is reciprocal with New York, so the ticket will eventually end up on your New York record. And once it ends up on your NY record your insurance company will have access to it as well. They likely won't even pull your record though unless you move or get a new car.

If you were in any other State, or the offense was in any other province, you'd be perfectly fine. You just happened to pick the right combination to get screwed over.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard