Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
you all are not answereing his question ....he is not talking about oil change intervals, he is talking about ENGINE FLUSHES. These are totally different, although done at the same time.

Justin 98.5 CSVT # 4887 of 6535 (born 2/28/98)
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Why are you synth guys changing so frequently? Chances are its quite a waste.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
There are two kinds of engine oil flushes. One that is done chemically by adding something to the oil, usually just before changing it. The other is with a machine that that uses a special solvent that is circulated through the engine with the engine off. Bilstein makes one of the more popular ones. Most of the machines work very well. Chemical flushes are usually not nearly as effective with the possible exception of Auto RX. There is quite a bit of buzz about Auto RX at www.bobistheoilguy.com

Back to your original question. It is my opinion that it never needs to be done if you are using a quality oil (syn or dino) and you change it frequently enough.

If the car has had spotty maintenance or ever been overheated it may benefit from such a service.

Also my opinion if quality dino is used and it is changed at least every 5,000 miles or syn is used and it is changed at least every 10,000 miles, you probably will never need a flush.

I view an engine flush as being borderline on being snake oil. There are times that it may be beneficial, but not nearly as often as many shops try to sell it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I've never done one.

I used dino on a 5k interval until about 50k, and then switched to synth. I still maintain the 5k interval.

Frankly, I don't want solvents running through my engine, ever, unless it's off the car and getting rebuilt. As a desperate measure, or if there could be bigger issues on a used car with unknown or known bad history--maybe. I just don't see the point.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
I've never done one and never plan on doing one. I did get an oil analysis done though at 100K which I considered money well spent.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
i hope this isnt a stupid question but ive never changed my own oil before....are oil filters pretty much all the same? i saw that BAT has a special/expensive filter. anyone use that?

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by svt4stv:
i hope this isnt a stupid question but ive never changed my own oil before....are oil filters pretty much all the same? i saw that BAT has a special/expensive filter. anyone use that?

F that.

Use the Motorcraft FL820s. For ~$3, its a great filter at a good price. The Purolator Pure One is also good. Higher end offerings from Mobil-1 and K&N are also very good, but at ~$10 a shot...not worth it IMHO.

For more oil and filter knowledge, go to:

www.bobistheoilguy.com

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I use the K&N, i figure it's less of a price increase than switching to syn. and it's a really, really good filter. plus: they have a hole for a wire to hold it on, which i can insert an awl into to make removal very easy, incase it's on too tight for hand-removal.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by SVT Doood:

F that.

Use the Motorcraft FL820s. For ~$3, its a great filter at a good price. The Purolator Pure One is also good. Higher end offerings from Mobil-1 and K&N are also very good, but at ~$10 a shot...not worth it IMHO.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

excellent website/link i was on there yesterday tooling around for the first time ......a TON of info on there.

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
Originally posted by SVT Doood:

F that.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

excellent website/link i was on there yesterday tooling around for the first time ......a TON of info on there.

ok, i have been perusing this site for two days now and am from everything that is on there.
from what i could somewhat gather, i can go 6k or 6months in between changes when using mobil 1 synth. sound about right??

i also read something about still changing the filter every 3k though...is that correct?

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard