Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
I get to my car and lights turn on. Everything seems fine. As soon as I turn the key to try and turn it on, the power gets cut off. It's almost like it's shorting out. I think it may just be the battery not holding a charge for long enough. The thing that puzzles me is how if I leave the car alone for about 10 mins, the dome light comes on as if I have plenty of power.
I can start the car with a boost from someone just fine.

-1998.5 Contour SE V6 ATX. PM me to tell me of a welder that can craft me a modified Y pipe in the Los Angeles area! OR I may be willing to buy a 3 flange modified Y.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Sounds like your battery is shot. It has juice, just not enough to turn over the engine. Replace the battery, that would be your best bet.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Matt R:
Sounds like your battery is shot. It has juice, just not enough to turn over the engine. Replace the battery, that would be your best bet.

That's definitely what I'm thinking. The thing that doesn't make sense is how it somehow recharges itself enough to power the dome light. Is this an indication to an even bigger problem?

-1998.5 Contour SE V6 ATX. PM me to tell me of a welder that can craft me a modified Y pipe in the Los Angeles area! OR I may be willing to buy a 3 flange modified Y.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
no.. batteries will recoup MINUTE amounts of charge from chemical reactions within itself.

Your battery is shot, or a poor connection at the post.

Remove terminals, clean tighten, retry....

then get a battery if needed..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Ray:
no.. batteries will recoup MINUTE amounts of charge from chemical reactions within itself.

Your battery is shot, or a poor connection at the post.

Remove terminals, clean tighten, retry....

then get a battery if needed..

Ray

Yes! That's the technical good stuff. Battery needs replacement. Terminals are fine. You guys rock me. Thanks a lot.

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Final words:

Turns out that it was the connection. I got the battery tested and it was fine. There was an amount of corrosion on the positive terminal that was not seen before. Hopefully everything is fine and dandy now.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
spray it with come protective grease, to prevent corrosion. They sell it at all major part stores...

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard