Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Ok, I never thought I'd have this much trouble replacing a simple battery cable. My positive batt. cable was worn down to the metal, and car was getting NO power, wouldn't turn over, etc. So I started to replace the cable, and have 2 issues:
1) I can't get the end of the cable out of the Starter Solenoid. It's supposed to pull right out, right? (I've taken the Solenoid cap off, put it back on, etc)
2) Ford wants $90 for the cable, but I don't need the fuse harness, etc - any suggestions for an after-market? (I'm worried about a stock cable, since my cable is bent 90degrees at the solenoid plug.)

Any ideas would be much appreciated - my wife is sick of carting me around...

2000 SE Sport V6 ATX Only mod is a JL 10 in the trunk
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I posted about the same problem last week. My cable was worn completely through from rubbing the battery box. The exposed cable was corroding and corroded in two pieces. I tried everywhere,and the only solution is the entire cable assembly from the stealership. Mine here in Ohio was $118.00.It is a pita,I was able to replace mine at the starter solenoid. This is the first place the cable "splices" without replacing the whole cable assembly.Take the cap off and the 90 degree bent cable slides out of the assembly. Then put the new one back to back with the old one nad slide them both back into the solenoid assmeblt and put it back on the starter solenoid. I was going to replace the whole thing but the fuse box is on the back of the egine(hard to get to) and you can't even see the starter! I hope you understand what i'm talking about,I'd say you'll get it since you have had it apart.I don't think there is any way to do it without buying the new cable from the dealership. I got no replies when I posted,I'm surprised no one else had this happen.
Good Luck

Rod

-2000 SVT-Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #1,382 of 2,150 Born on 01-07-2000 It's got stuff -2003 Lincoln Navigator-Ultimate Silver/Midnight Blue -1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500-custom paint,CHROME
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
I would replace both wires. Motorcraft #WC-95591

L
L
i have a used battery cable + and -, if you are interested in buying, contact me at luckylinky@hotmail.com, will send pictures to see if its a match. + side up to mega fuse from battery.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by 2kSVT:
I was able to replace mine at the starter solenoid. This is the first place the cable "splices" without replacing the whole cable assembly.Take the cap off and the 90 degree bent cable slides out of the assembly. Then put the new one back to back with the old one nad slide them both back into the solenoid assmeblt and put it back on the starter solenoid.

Rod,
Are you saying that you pulled both cable-ends out of the solenoid cap at the same time? I was hesitant to pull out the cable-end that went back into the depths of the engine, for fear that I would break it (cable shroud is brittle), and since i can't even see where that end goes, I didn't want to mess with it... Do you think I can get the cable-end that goes to the battery out of the solenoid cap without pulling out the other cable-end?
Thanks for your response.

Scott

2000 SE Sport V6 ATX Only mod is a JL 10 in the trunk
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Yeah,you should be able to pull just the one out.They are just back to back and then the solenoid bolt goes through the eyelet in both and then tighten the nut. I got scared to dive into replacing the rest,as you said you can't even see where it goes!My cable back there was in real good condition.I have a 2000 CSVT with a pretty clean engine bay in comparison to others. Hope that helps.

Rod

-2000 SVT-Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #1,382 of 2,150 Born on 01-07-2000 It's got stuff -2003 Lincoln Navigator-Ultimate Silver/Midnight Blue -1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500-custom paint,CHROME

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard