Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Read this before you file your taxes. I think I have discovered an error within Turbo Tax that could cost you thousands. This is a copy/paste of an email I just got done sending to my Battallion SGM:

According to this link: http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/pdf/taxdocs/hr1308confrpt.pdf
President Bush signed a law last October that allows soldiers from a combat zone to count their tax-free pay as taxable income for the refundable portion of the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Credit. While doing my taxes with Turbo Tax, it appears that TT does not know about this, and shows my taxable income as $0 because of all my deductions, and is not allowing me to show my Iraq income as taxable for the purposes of the CTC and EIC. For the CTC alone, this would have cost me ~$3500 on my return (in refund, I have 4 kids)! I have a support ticket in with Intuit (the makers of TT), and will hopefully have an update soon. For soldiers who have children (and even some without) who are trying to file their taxes early, they need to know about this new law and make sure that they are getting the proper refundable portion. I do not yet know how much this has affected the EIC, so the damage could even be worse. Please try to get the word out to soldiers about this. Remember: I'm
still trying to confirm the problem with Intuit.

SSG ORVAL W STUCKEMEYER

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Good catch, but to be fair to Turbo Tax, I bet the code was already written and the production underway before this was passed.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
ill have to forward this to my two navy buddies

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Not trying to dog TT, just trying to get veterans all they are allowed...

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
My wife is doing mine electronically and I think she said something about that. I will make sure she is tracking this one.

Thanks

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Sandman333:
Not trying to dog TT, just trying to get veterans all they are allowed...

Totally agreed, and I wasn't trying to dog you either.

I just wanted to explain a little of the development process, so people understood there are limitations.

Hopefully there will be a free downloadable patch available very soon.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom Diva:
Good catch, but to be fair to Turbo Tax, I bet the code was already written and the production underway before this was passed.

that's why TT has downloadable updates everday to the last minute before midnight, April 15th. maybe they'll have one for this.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
thanks sandman

I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
Did you ever get a responce to this, i could always look it up, but im lazy and would really like to know if i should resubmit this to teir 3

cardomain 98 Contour SE zetec I-4

Link Copied to Clipboard