Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90147 05/08/02 09:46 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Well after avoiding fate for about 8 months, it finally caught up with me. My nice Kenwood Excelon KDC-X817 has been swiped. Did a nice number on the door handle and the dash too. Insurance will cover the car damage and the receiver but I'm not gonna put another nice head unit in only for the same thing to happen (apparently girlfriends house is not in the best part of town). So I figure on putting an alarm system in, problem is choosing one. The local car stereo shops in my area (Toledo, OH) are recomending either a Viper alarm for $320.00 installed (Car Stereo One) or an Alpine SEC-8028 for around $270.00 installed (TAS). Are these quality units? What types of alarms do some of you other members have on your car and are you happy with them? $250-350 is my price range and I want one that will do the door lock/unlock and trunk release too. Opinions valued.
As for a new receiver I was looking at two units the Kenwood KDC-X859 and the Alpine CDA-7995. They're the same price from Crutchfield and I was wondering if anybody has any opinions on these too. I'll have to buy an amp if I go with the Alpine but I might end up doing that either way. Any other suggestions or recommendations on any other comparable head units are welcome too.
Thanks All.

S
S
Let me tell you that no alarm is really going to stop theft. Yes, we all have them, but these days when an alarm sounds everyone continues on with their business. No one looks anymore to even see why an alarm may have went off. The reason I have alarms in my vehicles is for home. If the alarm goes off while I'm at home someone is bound to hear it. It sometimes may deter a thief. (the lil red LCD blinker is better than nothing)

If your going to install an alarm, get one that has the most features and set the sensitivity HIGH so that the lightest tap on the car will trigger it. You may have been able to get outside of your girls house if the alarm had sounded from the get-go.

Brenden

'99 SVT Silver Frost
Love to read up on any mods.
Any recommendations, feel free to let me know.
AIM: PlayT88
K
K
Get the one with remote car start option - that should should be a nice addition. Another idea is - i saw some add for VIN etching - putting your VIN number on your windows, you may ask them to put vin on your stereo - no much but may give thieves some hard time if they going to sell it.

Regards,
Kirill
98.5 Contour SE Silver Frost (powered by Duratec 2.5L)
Nakamichi CD-45Z -> Phoenix Gold XS4300 -> Infinity Kappa 693.3i
\_ Blaupunkt ODx694
T
T
I have a Code Alarm and it servs its purpose. Tap and it chirps, tap again harder and it goes off.

Remeber these are just a deterant like anything else. BTW I also own one of the plainest looking HU around.

Good Luck, anything is better than nothing.

1998 SE ATX
Dual exhaust
Body conversion
Nakamichi CD-40z HU
Sound by Crystal Mobile
Powered by a/d/s M860 AMP
My Ride
B
B
i have a prestige car alarm, and it has made me not afraid leave my car alone. when you put on the alarm, the doors lock, the engine is disabled, and if someone touches you're tire they'll be frightened. when these alarms go off you'll hear from a distance. also if you forget to activate, it'll do it for you!

1998 gs Mystique
(2)12" audiobahn
(1)15" audiobahn
lanzar 1000 watt amp
lanzar 1400 watt amp
(4)infinity kappa components
kenwood 400 watt amp
(2)performance teknique caps
performance teknique crossover
12 disc premier changer
premier single din
premier eq
ps2 - three 6" screens
Now all I need is some Speed!
E
OP Offline
E
Well first and foremost thanks to all that replied. Insurance finally came through for me in that they're gonna replace the receiver with a Kenwood KDC-X859, supply me with the necessary harnesses, PLUS give me a check for $20.00 to go and have someone install it for me (was gonna be for $50.00 but they wanted 29.00 for depreciation of the old unit). Hated having the other one stolen but I'm getting a little bit better one basically for free (love having $0 deductible) as for the $20, it's going towards the alarm. I installed one receiver myself I'm sure I can install another one. As for the alarm, I know if someone wants what's in the car bad enough they're gonna get it alarm or not. My main goal is to make it less desirable for someone to try and get into the car. But needless whenever I'm over at her house again the face is coming off. I think I've settled on the Alpine alarm but there was a really nice unit by Ultra Start that has the remote start and a pager with it too. Might be nice for when at shopping centers. Oh well thanks to all for their opinions.

Did you have the faceplate on the HU/in the car when they stole it? If so then you asked for it. :p I hate to be mean, but if you make it that easy...

2000 SE Sport V6
Deep Navy CC Metallic
My 2G Sport
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by SVeeT:
Let me tell you that no alarm is really going to stop theft. Yes, we all have them, but these days when an alarm sounds everyone continues on with their business. No one looks anymore to even see why an alarm may have went off. The reason I have alarms in my vehicles is for home. If the alarm goes off while I'm at home someone is bound to hear it. It sometimes may deter a thief. (the lil red LCD blinker is better than nothing)

If your going to install an alarm, get one that has the most features and set the sensitivity HIGH so that the lightest tap on the car will trigger it. You may have been able to get outside of your girls house if the alarm had sounded from the get-go.

Brenden
WHEN YOU BUY AN ALARM , ASK FOR A SEPERATE HORN FOR THE INTIERIOR OF THE CAR - TRUST THEY MAKE THEM, DUMB NAMES LIKE "PAIN GENERATOR" & SUCH AND ARE LOUDER @ CLOSE RANGE THAN UNDER-THE-HOOD HORN
Its only a xtra 20-40 & worth every penny laugh

Most thevens don't carry a pair of ear-muffs laugh

B
B
The Kenwood 817 does not have a removable face- it's a flip face. And my 817 was stolen about 6 weeks ago. frown

I
I
I would invest into an alarm that has some sort of theft warranty. For instance I have a Clifford Concept 600; they have a 10,000 dollar theft protection for your vehicle. Make sure when putting an alarm it has a decent warranty, just in case you piss some Honda driver off & now he wants your radio.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard