Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I was wondering if anyone has made any Contique related splash screens. I made my first KDE splash screen today and used a Contour pic I found on the forums awhile ago.
The next version will use unique icons (or other photo), but I haven't created those yet.

I hope the owner of the pictured Contour doesn't mind me using the pic. Here's a preview:

Here's the file, just unzip into your
'~/.kde/share/apps/ksplash/themes' folder and select it in the control panel.
Red_Contour splash screen

Last edited by PranQster; 01/24/05 02:31 AM.

'95 'stiqueLS 2.5L ATX S&B / CTA intake KEM Mag-Plus wires 1/4" TH fix Homemade heat shield Xenon bulbs Fog light rewire ATX cooler Flowmaster 942042 Blacked-out pseudo-chrome
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
nice

I like the icons too

KDE is nice...

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I like KDE, looks nice
How did you manage to change the screen?

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Thanks... though the icon's weren't my creation... they came from another splash screen, I just borrowed them.
Changing the splash screen is easy... I looked in the folder:
'/home/username/.kde/share/apps/ksplash/themes'. Each theme had its own sub-directory containing 4 or 5 pictures and a configuration file 'Theme.rc'. I noticed the pics were all 400 pixels wide, though some varied in height. The pics also used standard names such as:
splash_top.png <<< the main picture, the Contour in this case
splash_bottom.png <<< the dark bottom bar where the progress meter is shown
splash_active_bar.png <<< the icons in full color
splash_inactive_bar.png <<< the icons greyed out
Preview.png <<< the preview pic for display in KDE Control Center 'kcontrol'

All I had to do for this splash was to resize the Contour photo to be 400 pixels wide and save it as a png, renaming it to 'splash_top.png'. I just added the pic to an existing theme and renamed its folder and edited the Theme.rc file so it would show proper info in the Control Center.

Now I want to make custom icons relating to the Contour to replace the splash_inactive_bar and the splash_active_bar files.

'95 'stiqueLS 2.5L ATX S&B / CTA intake KEM Mag-Plus wires 1/4" TH fix Homemade heat shield Xenon bulbs Fog light rewire ATX cooler Flowmaster 942042 Blacked-out pseudo-chrome
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
And yes, KDE is very nice I hate when I hear of some members of the Linux community complaining that it is too 'Windows'-like... why, because it has a 'Start'-like menu and a system tray and taskbar?? So does Gnome and several other display managers as well. The complainers probably haven't tried KDE lately. Either that or they've got a command shell superiority complex of some sort

In any case, I used mswindows since version 3.0 and ALWAYS wanted a different user interface (even before I knew of any).
2000 Pro was my favorite Windows version and still is, I HATE WinXP with a raging passion, almost as much as I hated 'WinMe'. I can trim XP down to be like 2000, but I'd rather not spend the extra time and work doing so.

I once saw screenshots of the NextStep OS and wanted a desktop like that, so I ran AfterStep as my shell for awhile instead of Explorer. But that was a resource hog and I went back to regular Explorer until I tried Linux with KDE 3 (Mandrake 9.0 at the time). I had tinkered with Red Hat 6.xomething and Suze 6.4 once before, but never ran them for long. I even tried BeOS for a while.
My dual-celeron used to quad-boot Win2k Pro, Suze 6.4, BeOS 4.x, and Win98... off of 2 drives (Suze was on its own drive). BeOS handled the boot management and managed to totally f**k up the hard drive and make it unformattable and un-fdisk-able, except from Linux, ironically.

All that crap made Linux look good to me. I just had to wait until it was complete enough for me to jump into without having to do everything from scratch. Mandrake 9.0 was good enough for me, 10.1 is quite sweet Other distros are quite good too. But since Mandrake does everything I need or can think of, I have no need to switch.

Yow! Sorry for the long post going off-topic in my own thread LOL! But I'm a geek and I's loves the Linux!

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I've never really like KDE because, like Windows, it has too many hooks into the system. Now, I'm all about the "command shell" as you put it, but that's where I come from. Remote system administration forces one to learn that aspect.

Still, I run a lightweight WM (fluxbox) and just provide the libs as needed (kdebase, gtk, etc.) for the apps I need.

Anywho... Nice splash, though. =]

--JamesT

>--------------< --Chemguru 99 CSVT Frost /Mid. Blue 00 Suzuki SV650 Red, Naked
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
my newbieness is showing when I use terms like 'command shell'. Shows my dependence on a GUI.
Thanks for the compliment on the splashscreen

Link Copied to Clipboard