Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1156140 01/13/05 11:35 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
[disclaimer - i'm a bit long-winded, so bear w/ me on the length here... ]

i'm looking into perhaps getting a truck - i'm about to get married, w/ lots of furniture to move and soon to be two mtn. bikes to cart around instead of just one, among other miscellaneous home ownership needs, and a truck would certainly be a nice thing to have around. i'm going in circles trying to settle on something, though.

first, i'm not willing to pay for pickup truck gas mileage and not get 4wd, so it must be be off-road capable. second, i'm a car guy at heart (but who likes to play in the mud occasionally), so a slow, ponderous, ill-handling truck is not going to be at the top of my list. a lightning would meet the second criteria but gets crossed off the list b/c of the former - d'oh!

so, what i've considered and my thoughts on them:

1. F150 - would likely be an FX4 flareside (though i wish some of the lariat options were available with the FX4 pkg -heated seats, homelink, white-face gauges, etc.). let's assume FX4 supercab flareside w/ a smattering of options. MSRP would be around $36k; real-world pricing at a local no-haggle dealer knocks about $7k off that, bringing the tab to $29k. cons: full-size truck gas mileage, ridiculously huge for a non-HD truck, and persistent driveline vibration troubles w/ '04's (f150online.com). big size = big weight = slightly underpowered for my tastes, though the ride quality is nice.

2. '05 tacoma - i like the styling, the drivetrain, and the reliability precedent; i don't like the price. TRD off-road double-cab V6 4x4 runs around $30k - "internet" price at my local dealer knocks off only $1500, but production hasn't fully ramped up and getting one to invoice ($3k off MSRP) will be near impossible right now. i also don't really like that you can't get heated seats if leather is installed, and no moonroof is available. no sat radio, either. i do prefer the midsize maneuverability and better gas mileage over the full-sizes, though.

3. '05 nissan frontier - styling is a bit "narrow" from the front imho, but the NISMO crew cab manages to be a good-looking truck. interior seems to be a bit below-par compared to the toyota, and my G35 has enough squeaks and rattles to fill an entire lot of kia's - so my faith in nissan build quality is shaky at best. however, you can get a moonroof and sat. radio w/ the frontier, and option-for-option the truck will be a grand or two cheaper than the toyota. also mid-size, which is a plus.

also-rans:

- chevy colorado/gmc canyon - would have to be black to hide the gargantuan misshapen wheelwells, and i did like the extended cab 2wd z71 that i drove - but upgrade to a 4wd crew cab and that poor 5-banger is just overcome by the added weight at highway speeds. if only they'd transpant the straight-6 from the trailblazer....

- chevy silverado/gmc sierra Z71 - GM-squishy brakes, and better option choices than ford, but kind of dated by now and only looks really nice in certain colors (imho). not a fan of any area GM dealerships, though...

- nissan titan - i've heard of too many 'problems' with the '04's to put a lot of faith in this one...plus it's HUGE, just like the F150. nice truck overall, though.

- ford ranger - looks good in FX4 trim, but the platform is rivaling methuseleh in age. 'nuff said.

- dodge dakota - i *hate* the new front-end styling, and the last-gen version doesn't do much for me either. the mitsubishi version to come isn't much better.

- dodge ram - eh, just not a fan of dodge trucks in general.

and that's about it. part of my problem is the budget - i'd rather not go above $25k, but in this day and age of escalating MSRP's that's not really all that viable for a 4wd truck w/ decent options. i tried to pick up a leftover '04 FX4 a couple weeks ago but the dealer wouldn't come down more than $8k off MSRP - even w/ $5k in rebates. i'd rather spend an extra grand and get an '05 elsewhere. it's looking like a tacoma or frontier would run me about $28k, which is more than i'd like to spend....but....i just don't know.

any thoughts or recommendations given the above? i'd look at used, but the vibe problems w/ so many '04 F150's scares me about those, and the '05 tacomas and frontiers are vastly improved over the last-gen models. full-size Z71's would be much the same year-to-year, though it seems hard to find one w/ relatively low mileage.

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
#1156141 01/13/05 11:43 PM
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
just get a used truck, since it seems u wont use it much. I think everyone should have a truck but not as daily driver.

NEED AN SVT REAR BUMPER!!! pm me
#1156142 01/14/05 12:11 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I have also been considering a new truck as my daily 92 S10 is getting quite old.

I was anxious to see the new Taco but was disappointed when it arrived. I loved the looks in the brochures that I received. But in person, the nose looks too bulky for the rest of the body. I have yet to see the short bed, but the others look too long.

I really really like the new Frontier. I did test drive a NISMO Crew Cab 4x2 and was satisfied. I personally will opt for a LE Crew Cab. I'm sure the NISMO package is great for off road, but it seemed a little too bouncy for the street over irregular pavement.

There are currently no rebates or incentives for the Frontier (haven't checked the Taco but I doubt it). Also, its a bit hard to find invoice pricing for the Frontier as it is too new (I checked with Edmonds, KBB, Cars.com, etc.). But, the dealer I checked with is definitely dealing on the Frontiers and it may be because they are located next to a Toyota dealership with their new Tacomas facing the Nissan dealership.

I'm going with the Frontier. As of yesterday, there were none that matched what I wanted in Texas or Louisiana.

#1156143 01/14/05 12:13 AM
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
if you plan on keeping this truck for a while and you have kids or plan on having them soon you might want to consider the four doors over the extended cabs. if you are going to be doing any heavy hauling on anything resembling a consistent basis then i doubt that you will like the toyota. while the tacoma is vastly improved for 05 it does not enjoy the hauling reputation the big 3 do. the tacoma that i saw at the 05 l.a. auto show had a typical nursery/garden store load and sagged a bit much for my taste while performing markedly better than before. i realize the ranger was an also ran, but the one that i had was tough as nails and would haul most anything i could squeeze into the bed without complaint while being small enough to get decent fuel economy and easy to manuver around town. of your top three though i would choose the f150. it only cost slightly more (per your numbers) but provides you with much more truck which is what you said you were looking for.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
#1156144 01/14/05 04:14 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I had a 4-door 2004 F150 as a rental when the 6 was getting a few things installed. That said... it drives like a smaller truck. You're connected, the truck responds and communicates with you. I was impressed with everything but the 16 mpg, and the cheap interior in the XLT trim.

That said... A coworker of mine as an extended-cab, and she loves it. She liked the little shorter length in city traffic, and the rear seat is plenty big for child seats and everything. I wouldn't avoid it simply due to kids.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1156145 01/14/05 04:18 AM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by lsneo:
just get a used truck, since it seems u wont use it much. I think everyone should have a truck but not as daily driver.

for some strange reason i feel the exact same way

E1 CSVT s/c-----x turbo---x 3L------check
#1156146 01/14/05 04:50 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I vote Frontier w/ the off-road package and V6. Good lookin' truck.

Who cares, it'll be at a dealer with a for-sale sign on it within 6 months anyway...

'98 4Runner
#1156147 01/14/05 05:16 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
If you really like the new Tacoma, why not the Tundra. Much bigger discounts are available. Much better gas mileage and resale value too.

I really like the Ram 1500QC Hemi package. Huge disocunts and they really do look good IMO. Add the body kit, 20" chromes, and it has the second nicest interior for a true full size compared to the GMC/Chvey but not in line with the smaller F150. Not a fan of the F150 as the bed is too tall on the sides. Hey, I'm short so reaching over is a pain.

If your gonna go compact then the Frontier is a nice looking package. But at that price, can you get a Dakota which is a midsize similarly equipped with a V8?

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1156148 01/14/05 05:43 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
In my opinion, I'd say go for a newer crew cab F-150. I'm not sure if they come with the 4.6 but still, the 5.4 engine gets just one tick less MPG than my 2002 Ranger Ext. Cab Edge 4x4 with the 4.0. I have been in one of the F-150s and it gives you the luxury of the Expedition, but the capibility of a truck. The price was the only thing that turned me down.
Plus, as the number one bonus, IT IS STILL A FORD

Alex 00 T-Red/Tan SVTC #1964/2150 167 HP @6800 153 TQ @3000 Sold- 98 'Tour SE 24V 5-spd 149 HP @5900 148 LB FT @4300
#1156149 01/14/05 02:37 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
thanks for all the input - keep it coming!

Originally posted by lsneo:

eh, this probably would be a daily driver at least most of the time - hence my desire for creature comforts and "near-lux" items. i don't have a problem w/ used, but finding a used truck i like is more of an issue. i'm picky.

Originally posted by 1314:
I have yet to see the short bed, but the others look too long.

long-bed double-cabs are indeed way too long - the DC short-bed looks nice, though (to me at least).

I really really like the new Frontier. I did test drive a NISMO Crew Cab 4x2 and was satisfied. I personally will opt for a LE Crew Cab. I'm sure the NISMO package is great for off road, but it seemed a little too bouncy for the street over irregular pavement.

yeah, that's one thing i fear w/ getting the TRD or NISMO off-road packages - they look awesome and i'm sure are quite capable, but i'm leery of the ride quality on-road. a 2wd TRD off-road tacoma that i drove seemed fine, though. i just hate the 4-spoke wheels that come w/ the frontier LE....

There are currently no rebates or incentives for the Frontier (haven't checked the Taco but I doubt it). Also, its a bit hard to find invoice pricing for the Frontier as it is too new (I checked with Edmonds, KBB, Cars.com, etc.). But, the dealer I checked with is definitely dealing on the Frontiers and it may be because they are located next to a Toyota dealership with their new Tacomas facing the Nissan dealership.

haven't been able to talk pricing on a frontier, but car-buying around here is a pain in the neck. salesmen seem to have an uncanny knack for knowing when i'm serious and when i'm not, and when i'm not they're all over you before you get out of the car but when i want to drive something they're nowhere to be found. that said, i doubt either dealer around here is dealing all that significantly - i'm guessing frontier invoice will be about $2k-2.5k below MSRP based on titans and pathfinders, but who knows. i think edmunds should have pricing up today, from what i've read.

Originally posted by acrdklr:
if you plan on keeping this truck for a while and you have kids or plan on having them soon you might want to consider the four doors over the extended cabs.

i'd definitely get a crew-cab midsize, but the extended cab full-size trucks have enough room in the back seat for short trips w/ adults and would be fine for kids.

Originally posted by acrdklr:
of your top three though i would choose the f150. it only cost slightly more (per your numbers) but provides you with much more truck which is what you said you were looking for.

well, it's definitely more truck for the buck - but it's also a lot more truck to park, maneuver in traffic, and put gas into. that's my chief beef w/ it - otherwise i'd be sold on one for sure.

Originally posted by svtcarboy:
I had a 4-door 2004 F150 as a rental when the 6 was getting a few things installed. That said... it drives like a smaller truck. You're connected, the truck responds and communicates with you. I was impressed with everything but the 16 mpg, and the cheap interior in the XLT trim.

my impression as well....still hard to park, though.

Originally posted by JVT:
I vote Frontier w/ the off-road package and V6. Good lookin' truck.

Who cares, it'll be at a dealer with a for-sale sign on it within 6 months anyway...

hey, i've had the G35 for over 9 months now.

as of this morning, my leanings are frontier-ish as well....

Originally posted by Fmr12B:
If you really like the new Tacoma, why not the Tundra. Much bigger discounts are available. Much better gas mileage and resale value too.

thought about it, but i don't really like the tundra. interior is pretty spartan, and the exterior styling is kind of goofy looking unless it's a TRD off-road w/ the available 18" BBS rims or something - at which point it's into the mid-30's price-wise, and a $2k rebate won't help much.

I really like the Ram 1500QC Hemi package. Huge disocunts and they really do look good IMO. Add the body kit, 20" chromes, and it has the second nicest interior for a true full size compared to the GMC/Chvey but not in line with the smaller F150. Not a fan of the F150 as the bed is too tall on the sides. Hey, I'm short so reaching over is a pain.

i may look at a ram before i decide anything, but we'll see. it does look pretty good w/ the 20's, though i'm leery of how they'd handle off-pavement jaunts - not to mention tire replacement costs. the F150 bed is indeed huge, which is why i prefer the flareside - doesn't look as "girth-y".

If your gonna go compact then the Frontier is a nice looking package. But at that price, can you get a Dakota which is a midsize similarly equipped with a V8?

new dakota has a butt-ugly front-end, and even in 4x4 trim it looks like it's sitting on the ground compared w/ the tacoma and frontier. the V8 it has offers less power than the V6's in the imports, so i wouldn't consider the V8 a plus.

Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:
In my opinion, I'd say go for a newer crew cab F-150. I'm not sure if they come with the 4.6 but still, the 5.4 engine gets just one tick less MPG than my 2002 Ranger Ext. Cab Edge 4x4 with the 4.0. I have been in one of the F-150s and it gives you the luxury of the Expedition, but the capibility of a truck. The price was the only thing that turned me down.
Plus, as the number one bonus, IT IS STILL A FORD

the FX4 and lariat pkg. comes standard w/ the 5.4 - and it feels underpowered even with that. i'd hate to drive a 4.6. i guess i may drive a ranger just to see what i think, since i could get a fully loaded FX4 extended cab for $22k or less, but i suspect i'll still prefer the frontier/tacoma platforms.

and i have no brand loyalty, so being a ford is not particularly relevant to me.

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard