Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Any thoughts about fuel filters and coolant? 60k maintenance on the horizon and I'm changing and flushing. Any 'performance' fuel filters for these cars?

'99 SVT
1841/2760

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Performance fuel filter? Umm, yeah. Next question.....just get the regular Fram unit from the local auto store.

Coolant, use the premixed Green Prestone stuff.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
What happened to FRAM being analytical to the description of "garbage"?

I knew as far as oil filters and air filters, they were a big no-no on the ceg boards, weren't they?

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I think thats right, although i've never had any problems with their stuff.

I use purolator filters (except oil, for that I use Motorcraft) and they seem to work well.

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Ray:
What happened to FRAM being analogous to the description of "garbage"?

I knew as far as oil filters and air filters, they were a big no-no on the ceg boards, weren't they?

Ray

thats what i thought too.

stazi, whats the story?

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I used Motorcraft.

Fram's quality varies by product. Some of their oil filters are good, but their base model is such crap (despite their rationalizations) that it has hurt their reputation on all of their products. Using a FRAM product probably won't make your car blow up, but there are so many better choices out there...

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
There was a HUGE oil filter article some guy wrote. Tore appart dozens of filter to compare elements, construction, quality of materials & what not.

Fram was crap.

Purolator Pure one was very good.
Motorcraft was very good.

A few other good ones I don't remember. I just buy Motorcraft.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Here's the link for that oil filter page. I found it to be some really good reading.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

The same discussion is going on at dodgedakotas.com which is another site I frequent(due to the fact that I own a POS Dakota).

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by acrdklr:
Originally posted by Ray:
What happened to FRAM being analogous to the description of "garbage"?

Ray

thats what i thought too.

stazi, whats the story?

I was referring to the FRAM Fuel filter, it works just fine. As for Oil Filters I use Purolator Pure One filters.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Stazi:

I was referring to the FRAM Fuel filter, it works just fine. As for Oil Filters I use Purolator Pure One filters.

Which I just found out is a renamed Motorcraft which is a couple $ less.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me

Link Copied to Clipboard