Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89217 04/14/02 03:37 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I though my car was gonna catch on fire earlier tonight. I get in, and I turn the key once and I see that the interior lights get dim. After thinking WTF??? All I could see was white smoke coming from the engine bay, on the drivers side...a sh*t load of smoke. I was like damn, just when my warranty expires. mad

It tourns out the power wire is burned from the terminal half way to the fender where it was cut and taped together. I had a little fuse packet there (cheap wiring) and that kept on blowing my fuses so someone I know ripped it our for me because he said I dont need it. But now Im thinking I do since the wire just burned.

I havent done anything yet, except for driving the car. What should I do now? Im thinking of going and getting it rewired with some good wiring. But for the time being...what should I do...I need my system!!!

Remember, your talking to someone that doesnt know jack about audio... confused

Kamil

99 SVT ~ "Black Beauty"
#2362 of 2760
DOB: 7/28/99

So far...
-20% tint w/ front tint strip
-Ding guards removed
-Fog light mod
-Alpine CDA-7875
-2 MTX T6000 12's
-MTX Thunder4202 amp
-FMS wires w/ Bosch +4's
-Mobil 1 ATX
S
S
Yes you need the fuse and you also need the right gauge power wire for the power you are putting out, also you need a good ground, with a good size power wire and a small gauge ground you are just shooting yourself in the foot. eek

98 'tour silver
KKM
svt exhaust
svt wheels
stereo mods=kenwood head unit
alpine amps installed
12" kicker comp vr sub
purple calipers

www.angelfire.com/realm2/silverbullet/contour.html
http://members.sounddomain.com/silverbullet02

Mods to come!
purple neons
marker lights
PUTER chip
svt body kit
lowering job
PROBABLY IN THAT ORDER!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
D
D
I would've also kept the fuse. But if it kept blowing fuses like that, I'd probably say your power cable is too small. If not, something could be grounding??? Well, in both circumstances, i'd just rewire with something and double check my connections. Also, if you want to buy cheaper cables, check out a welding shop. They sell 4gauge cable for under .75 a foot. I got mine for .61 a foot. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Give me more beer and CEG before i get depressed!

AIM/AOL: DBZ Jr
S
OP Offline
S
Yeah, Im just getting it all rewired by the end of this week with some good cables. Im just glad it didnt start a fire although it did burn my air box a bit...but thats ok.

Thanks...

Kamil

99 SVT ~ "Black Beauty"
#2362 of 2760
DOB: 7/28/99

So far...
-20% tint w/ front tint strip
-Ding guards removed
-Fog light mod
-Alpine CDA-7875
-2 MTX T6000 12's
-MTX Thunder4202 amp
-FMS wires w/ Bosch +4's
-Mobil 1 ATX
K
K
What did you have for wire?(gauge) you could actually just cut off the burned section, add the proper inline fuse holder and run new wire from there. That is if you already have the proper gauge. Still not sure why your wire caught fire, unlees you have other installation problems (wire wont instanatiously combust wink )

Anyways, if you need some stuff, check us out at

www.knukonceptz.com

Let me know what you need and we'll get you takin care of.

Bill

2000 SVT Contour #1077/2150 MSDS Headers/B&M Shifter/H&R's/

1995 Contour SE V6 #????/Tons KnuProject, awaiting mass mods

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard