Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Guess I'm just lazy.. I'd take it up to SuperLube.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
When the engine is cold (at first start up) the ECU runs the car in an "open loop" mode, which runs the car rich, causing it to heat up to operating temp quicker.

Close, but Wrong. When cold, the engine runs open loop (ie. rich) in order to heat up the catalyst. The catalyst must reach operating temperatre before it can act as a oxygen bank, thus reducing NoX and HC.

96 Sport 2.0L - 190,XXX miles
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I'm curious to know how long Dex-Cool will last (obviously you can't tell yet) since a mechanic friend of mine (good mechanic) told me that Dex-Cool has a tendency to crystallize & break down over a shorter period of time than expected. He recommends changing at least every 50K......my $/02.....

Is the smoke alarm in your house also known as the dinner bell? '99 Zetec VCT Daily Driver Mild Air Filter Mod
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by ABNeg:
... told me that Dex-Cool has a tendency to crystallize & break down over a shorter period of time than expected. He recommends changing at least every 50K...

Despite the suggested change interval, mine may be renewed WAAAAAY sooner than 50k, no matter how long it's supposed to last. Just prudent maintenance.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by ABNeg:
I'm curious to know how long Dex-Cool will last (obviously you can't tell yet) since a mechanic friend of mine (good mechanic) told me that Dex-Cool has a tendency to crystallize & break down over a shorter period of time than expected. He recommends changing at least every 50K......my $/02.....

My G/Fs Grand Am: at 35k the coolant was chunky already.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Dex-Cool also has the problem of not mixing with the normal antifreezes. You must be **completely** sure that there is no regular antifreeze left in the system before you fill with Dex-Cool.

Personally, I am running Zerex G-05 antifreeze. Main reasons?

Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines.
Utilizes hybrid organic acid technology to minimize inhibitor depletion
Low-silicate, low-pH and phosphate-free formula

The only drawback is it is very pale yellow. Its a PITA to see in the resivour. From what I have found around here, it can be found at pretty much any chain auto parts store.

The only better one on the market (while still staying with antifreeze) is Zerex G-48 (IIRC), and it can only be found at the BMW dealer.

You could also bring up the topic of Evans Waterless Coolants, which is something I will probably look into for the truck.

So... back to topic.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
That stuff kinda looks like the new Prestone All Models stuff. Supposed to be able to mix w/ all antifreeze colors. And it is yellow.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard