Print Thread
J
Jason43 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Yes I'm bored.

This is fairly easy to do, although is a long process. I, as well as the majority of the CEGers that have done this, will advise to use this method as opposed to just sanding and painting. Paint/primer does not adhere well to chrome and you'll most likely end up with chips in the paint not long after.

Whats needed:
-Drill and aprox. 1/4" bit
-Muriatic acid(available from most home centers, Lowes, Home Depot etc)
-Large plastic tray, big enough to hold the ring(wallpaper trays are perfect), don't use metal!
-Strong adhessive(JB Weld, Quicksteel, Epoxy etc), or wire ties
-Quality paint/primer
-Medium grit wet sandpaper

1. Remove the grill/ring from the car.
2. Using the drill and the 1/4" bit, drill out the plastic welds holding the chrome ring to the grill.
3. Place the grill ring in the plastic container and fill with enough muriatic acid to cover the ring. Please note that muriatic acid is very nasty stuff and should be used with caution and in a well ventilated area. Also note that this is a slow process, taking roughly 2-3 weeks to remove all of the chrome. You may want to put the ring-less grill back on the car to ease the eyesore that is now your front end.
4. After all the chrome is removed, wash the ring off in water and wet-sand using medium grit paper. Dispose of the acid in any safe way you see fit.
5. Prime/paint following proper priming/painting procedures.
6. After the paint has dried, use whatever method you've chosen to re-attach the ring to the grill. I originally used epoxy, but had it come loose after a few months since theres not alot of surface area for it to adhere to. At the suggestion of another CEG-er, I tried several small wire-ties with good results. They aren't visible, unless you are laying on the ground.
7. Start working on painting your headlight bezels to compliment you're sweet new grill ring.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Thanks for the How-To

Are you planning on putting up any pictures and can I use any container for the Muratic acid? I mean Acid eats through stuff right?

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Jason43:

-Large plastic tray, big enough to hold the ring(wallpaper trays are perfect), don't use metal!

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Hmm I must have totally missed that step.

Anyways sweet...not metal...all good.

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Local body shop did my ring and rear reflector for $100. Saved me the trouble.

Last edited by wa2tuff; 01/08/05 07:14 PM.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard