Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Hi. I'm still a newbie, but have checked the FAQs and searched the archives about this and still have questions, so I hope this is an okay post! I picked the general maintenance forum because my questions involve three different systems.

My '95 Contour SE, MTX has never had the fluids flushed or changed (just checked for level) in the brakes, manual transmission, and power steering. It's at 60K and everything is running fine. From what I've read here, it's high time these fluids be changed... but it's not as clearcut if and how the systems should be flushed.

The shop I go to *highly* recommends flushing each of the systems using their machines (naturally); in fact the service manager's justifications did sound good. I don't want to do the brakes at home, so am having those done there for sure.

But is there any danger of to the MTX and PS systems (e.g., to rubber seals and rings) in having them flushed by machine for the first time at 60K (steering and MTX operate well now, without leakage). If it's safe, is that route advantageous over the by-hand methods listed in our CEG FAQs (fairly straightforward and much cheaper!)?

I've gotten some great guidance from CEGers on what types of fluids to use. For the brake fluid I was planning on using Valvoline Synpower, but the shop service manager said he'd need to do a quick compatability test first. Given he needs to do a test, which my husband suggests might not reveal potential for longer-term damage, might it be safer to just go with new, regular Ford DOT III? For the MTX I was going to use the Chrysler Spec ATF+3, and for the power steering Mobil 1 ATF. I understand these meet the Mercon specs, but any danger/compatability issues in changing over to these now? Like I said, it all seems to be working fine and I don't mind the usual slightly-chunky shifting...

The shop costs for machine flushing plus the above-mentioned fluids are $50-60 for brakes (including flushing the hydraulic clutch, which shares the same reservoir), $70 MTX, and $50 power steering. I don't at all mind paying the money, if it's worth it and safe for my 60K baby.

I'm planning on having this all done tomorrow, dropping off at 11am PST, so would love opinions soon. Thanks!!

Lynn '95 Contour SE MTX, electric red, "Ferret II"
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Save $40+ and do the P/S fluid yourself. Pick up a "Turkey Baster" and suck out as much old fluid out of the P/S reservoir. Refill with fresh Type F ATF fluid. Run the car or drive the car around a while and repeat the procedure 2-3 times till the fluid looks clean. If I remember, I remove 8-12 ozs from the P/S system at every oil change, and refill with fresh ATF.

F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by eepals:
Save $40+ and do the P/S fluid yourself...

Thanks Lance! Nice to hear from you. The shop had a 60K special going so I decided to let them do everything today. For $179 they're flushing the brakes/clutch systems and refilling with Valvoline Synpower. Flushing the MTX and refilling with Chrysler Spec ATF+3; manager said they found a few linkage shavings today so maybe it's good they flushed it... he said it wasn't serious, though. They're also flushing/refilling the PS with Mobil 1 ATF. Plus they're doing a radiator flush and fill, which I was due for anyway. They'll do a visual inspection, too, and they're the only shop I've been to that's ever found something during an inspection, plus they don't make things up and say I need $upteens worth of work. The special also included an oil change, but we just did one. Since we don't have an indoors shop it's nice to get all this done.

One thing (here comes the dumb question... ), do I have to remember to top off each system with these exact same fluids (way down the line, should they need topping off)? Am I locked into synthetics now?

Now that I'm finding my way around a bit I sure think the CEG site is great! Where would a newbie like me be without Hard-core CEG'ers like you, Big Jim, and SVT Pete, Veterans like Alex 96GL, and so many other experienced CEG'ers?
Thanks again.

Lynn '95 Contour SE MTX, electric red, "Ferret II"
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Welcome aboard. It's good to see you're sorta in the neighborhood.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159

Link Copied to Clipboard